Three Is The Perfect Number For A Date

The weeks passed in a beautiful blur. Fred and I spent every waking moment together, and while I cherished our alone time, I felt guilty for not always including George. He swore up and down that he was okay, but something still felt off. His smile seemed strained and his laughter forced.

Right when my heavy heart was beginning to drown in guilt, George perked up. February brought romance to the castle, and even George was hit by Cupid's arrow.

He started spending time with a curly haired Hufflepuff. Her dainty figure and bright blue eyes kept him captivated, and I felt a little less awful. George deserved some happiness, even if it came in a small constantly giggling package.

"So where do you want to go? I'll do anything you'd like." Fred smiled as we sat by ourselves in the common room.

I snuggled against his chest and shrugged, "We don't have to do anything special."

"It's Valentine's Day, Nixie." Fred pouted. "I want to do something nice for you. I'm even willing to go to that horrible Madam Puddifoot's."

"Oh Merlin, no." I smirked. "We could gorge ourselves on Pumpkin Pasties at Honeydukes and then have some Butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks?"

"Your idea of a big romantic date involves sweets and butterbeer?" Fred snickered quietly. I rolled my eyes and elbowed him in the ribs. "Just kidding. That sounds perfect... and I have something top secret planned for later this evening."

I gave him a curious look, but he simply replied by kissing the tip of my nose.

"So shall we get up and—"

The portrait swung open, and Fred and I curiously looked up to see who entered the room. George was there, his shoulders slumped and his tall frame hunched over. The sadness in his eyes was unbearable and caused me to abandon his brother and hurry to his side.

"George," I murmured, "are you okay?"

He huffed, "Fine."

"You look like shit, mate." Fred bluntly said to which I shot him a dirty look.

"What happened?" I asked in concern.

George wandered over to a chair by the fire and collapsed. "She dumped me." George sighed. "It's only been two weeks, and she's dumped me! On bloody Valentine's Day!"

"Bad luck," Fred frowned. "But we were actually just about to—"

I narrowed my eyes at Fred and shook my head. Our romantic day could wait. After all, we couldn't just leave poor George alone and sulking in the common room.

"Why don't you hang out with us, George?" I asked. In response, Fred gave me a wild look. However, I continued, "We were just going to go to Hogsmeade and spend the day there."

"You guys don't want me tagging along." George grumbled.

"Nonsense," I said as Fred shrugged, "Alright then."

We both exchanged irritated looks.

"Come on," I insisted. "The three of us haven't been to Hogsmeade together in ages. We could stop at Honeydukes and then maybe go to Zonko's?"

"Well... if you really don't mind." George said, looking up slightly.

Fred replied with a voice dripping in sweet goo, "Of course not. Three is the perfect number for a date."

"Well then, let's go before the third years clear out all of the good sweets!" I beamed.

"I can't believe you invited him on our date!" Fred whispered in absolute annoyance as we waited outside the castle for George.I shrugged my shoulders, burying my hands deep within my pockets. "You saw the look on his face. He was miserable that What's-Her-Face dumped him."

"Still... you didn't need to invite him along." Fred grumbled. I frowned, looking away, but he caught my chin and met my eyes. "I wanted to do something special for you, Nix."

"We can later," I promised with a kiss. "Besides, the three of us really haven't spent any time together lately. It'll be nice."

"Alright, all set!" George cheered, appearing from the doors. He huddled himself between Fred and I, looping his long arms between ours. "Off to Hogsmeade!"
I giggled, but Fred just looked peeved.

The three of us walked down to Hogsmeade. Eventually, Fred lightened up and began to joke around with his brother. The three of us were so excited for the beginning of their joke line. It was really taking off, especially for getting out of the old hag Umbridge's class.

As soon as we reached Hogsmeade, we went straight for Honeydukes. As I was trying to decide between Fizzing Whizbees or Chocoballs, Fred and George were examining the Pepper Imps.

After a long debate, I decided to get the sweets. I was about to go to the cashier when the unpleasant odor of burning hair filled the shop, followed by a loud yelp. When I looked over at the twins, I saw George coughing smoke while Fred's eyes twitched.

"Bloody hell!" Fred growled as his hands flew to his forehead. "George, dammit, you singed off my eyebrows! I told you not to eat the Fiery Pepper Imps!!"

Despite Fred's increasingly red face, George and I exchanged looks and burst into fits of laughter. I should have been a little more sympathetic for my boyfriend's hairless brows, but it wasn't the first time one of the twin's singed off the other's hair.

"It's not funny!" Fred barked. "I look like a ruddy fool."

"Sorry mate," George apologized.

I swallowed my laughter before wandering over to Fred and placing a gentle kiss on his lips. "You look just fine," I promised, "Besides, they'll grow back."

"Let's just get out of here." Fred grumbled lowly. "I need a firewhiskey."

George and I looked uncomfortably at one another before following after Fred. I wasn't sure what got Fred so upset, but he was furious now.