My First Detention

Days. Weeks. Years?

I couldn't remember how long it had been since I blew up at Fred, but it felt like forever had passed. Before, I was the one doing the avoiding, but this time Fred steered clear every time he saw me enter a room.

Then there was George. George was totally torn in two with his best friends fighting, and I hated myself for putting him in such a terrible position. He tried convincing me that Fred was just Fred, sometimes selfish and oblivious to all things around him. 'He's not doing it on purpose,' George tried so desperately to convince me, but my heart didn't care.

Pain was pain, intentional or not.

If it wasn't for George or the fact it was Ron's first match as Keeper, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to go watch the Quidditch match against Slytherin. However, I felt obligated to.

"You're going to be brilliant," I encouraged Ron.

Ginny nodded, "Just breathe."

Hermione, Ginny, and I went down to wish the Gryffindor team good luck and to give our strongest support to Ron. George was tying up his boots, and Harry was standing by Ron, giving him a pep talk. I wasn't sure where Fred was, but I could only guess he was with Angelina since she was missing as well.

"Thanks," Ron choked out.

I frowned, trying to think of something helpful to say. "Uh, why not just try picturing Malfoy's smug smile getting smacked off his face when Gryffindor wins!" I suggested with a shrug.

Harry chuckled and nodded.

"Well, we'll be in the stands cheering you on." I said before giving George a small wave. "Good luck!"

As we turned to leave, I walked straight into Fred. My eyes were wide, and I felt like all the air had been sucked from my lungs.

"Nix," Fred mumbled, the corner of his lips pulled down. "I..."

"Fred!" Katie Bell called. "Come on, the match is starting!"

I sighed before moving past Fred, my heart throbbing with each step I took. Hermione and Ginny led the way as the three of us walked up to the stands to find a good seat. Once we were settled in, we watched as Madam Hooch blew her whistle and the players soared into the sky.

"The Quaffle is caught by Alicia Spinnet, and she's heading straight to the—ouch!" Lee Jordan, commentator, sharply sucked in his breath. "A Bludger by Goyle nearly knocks her off her broom, but she's getting right back up! Amazingly strong girl, she is, and rather beautiful—"

"Jordan!" Professor McGonagall scolded him.

Lee replied without regret, "Sorry, Professor. Just being supportive."

I watched as the players zoomed around, flashes of green and red everywhere. Harry was high in the air, searching carefully for the snitch. Ron was anxiously teetering on his broom, thankful the chasers were doing such a good job keeping the Quaffle in the Slytherin's end of the pitch. Meanwhile, Fred and George were batting Bludgers in every direction.

"Pucey snatches the Quaffle, and he's making his way towards Ron. He's the newest member of the Gryffindor team, brother to beaters Fred and George, and a promising addition to the team!" Lee cheered. "Come on, Ron!"

With wide eyes, the three of us were leaning on the edge of our seats, hoping Ron would block his first shot. However, before the chaser made it to Ron, the Slytherins began singing:

"Weasley cannot save a thing,
He cannot block a single ring,
That's why Slytherins all sing,
Weasley is our King."