Patronus Charm

The holidays came and passed without much cheer. Everyone was feeling the strain of stress because of Mr. Weasley's attack, especially his children. It worried me that George would further distance himself from me, but he was too worried about losing anyone else. Mr. Weasley's attack, as awful as it was, might have saved my friendship with the twins. The three of us reconciled just days after the attack, and we finally were getting back to normal.

By the time we were on the train back to Hogwarts, my spirits felt much more lifted than before. My hand had fully healed, leaving only slight scars as the memory of the torturous detention with Umbridge. Meanwhile, Fred and George finished their Skiving Snackboxes and were ready to start selling them.

Despite Umbridge's dark presence at Hogwarts, things were finally starting to look up. The DA met often, and I could feel us growing stronger in spells. Patronus Charms were extremely difficult and not even all adults could produce one, but I could feel myself getting better.

"Great work, Fred!" Harry grinned approvingly as a laughing hyena scurried around Fred. "Alright Nixie, let's see yours."

"Expecto Patronum!" I said fiercely while raising my wand.

Smoke burst from the tip of my wand, but didn't take the form of anything. Instead, it was only a small shield. After seeing the non-corporeal Patronus for the dozenth time, I sighed and began to lower my wand.

"You're really close," Harry encouraged me. "You just have to think of something stronger. The best memory of your life."

I pursed my lips together. I was thinking about Fred, and I thought that would do the trick. Instead, I closed my eyes and let myself try and think of happy thoughts.

My mind sifted through memories of my father, my parents smiling as we strung popcorn for Christmas. I thought of the twins and I causing chaos at Hogwarts... and then I thought of George. My mind stopped at the memory of the Yule Ball, the laughter and fun we shared... the kiss.The memory of soft lips and warm kisses enveloped me in a blanket of white brilliance, and I raised my wand once more.

I said the spell and felt the rush of energy leave my body and project through my wand in the form of a tiny Red Panda bear. A smile lit up my face and I met George's gaze. He smiled at the sight giving me a thumbs up.

"Brilliant!" Harry applauded.

I was so happy I was finally able to cast a true Patronus Charm, I forgot to worry that the memory I considered to be my best and brightest was with not my boyfriend, but his brother.