Prologue

It was impossible to tell when things changed between us. After all, it started off so innocently. We had been friends since the beginning; thick as thieves, the three of us, wreaking all kinds of chaos at Hogwarts. The memories of mischief touched my heart and caused tears to well in my eyes. We were so close back then and to watch it slowly burn to ashes was tearing me up inside.

I don't know when it happened, but from the moment it did, everything changed. I suddenly saw him through different eyes, and I was unable to look away.

We were alone with stars dancing above our heads and grass beneath us tickling our bare feet. I raised the bottle of firewhiskey, examining the near empty remains. He whispered something cheeky in my ear, and a fit of giggles exploded from my lips. We were smiling and laughing, and he was tickling my arms while I tried to run away from him. Somehow, the bottle ended up on the ground and I in his arms. He held me close, dared to pull me closer. Instinct and firewhiskey took over until our lips were mere centimeters away, and his warm breath fanned across my face.

"We can't," he mumbled as he stared down at me. The look in his chocolate brown eyes, normally so full of life and laughter, were now dull and pained. It left me devastated and broke my heart into even more splintered pieces.

"I know," I whispered back.

He frowned deeply, his face twisting in confusion from fighting desire and loyalty. "He's my brother," He murmured regretfully, as if he had already broken his twin's trust.

"I know," It was all I could say. I knew it wasn't right, I knew I'd feel bad in the morning. I knew it all too well, but I couldn't stop myself from loving him, and I'd been hiding it for as long as I could take.

"You love him," He replied, wincing as if the words stung his lips.

Finally, when I could take it no longer, I all but screamed, "I love you!" I was in tears, cursing myself for loving them and hurting them both after I swore I never would. "Don't you get it?" I cried out. "It's you! It has always been you!" We were now sitting on the ground. I was in tears while he comforted me. This was now. Us drunk and pained because we didn't want to hurt the person who meant the most to us.