Chapter 24

"We need to get her to Wendy." Natsu stood, still cradling Lucy gently in his arms.

"M-matte, Natsu," Levy choked, struggled to her feet with Gajeel's aid. "They took her keys, and the SunSphere manual..."

"Natsu, Gajeel, Gray, take Lucy and Levy back to the guild, tell the Master what's happened. We'll finish up here." Erza took the role of leader once again.

Mirajane, standing beside her with a frankly terrifying look on her face, nodded. "Leave it to us."

Natsu didn't reply, already running back the way they'd come, Happy and Gray hot on his heels. Gajeel, Levy and Pantherlily were a little slower to follow, as it soon became apparent that Levy's single wound incapacitated her far more than she'd originally anticipated. Luckily, Gajeel was able to hold her up as her legs gave way.

"Easy there, shrimp," he mumbled, helping her to start moving forward again.

Levy gave him a half-hearted glare. "Don't call me that."

Gajeel remained silent for a while longer, a conflicted look on his, before he seemed to come to a decision and shook his head. "No, this won't do. We're not travelling fast enough. Do you mind if I carry you?"

Levy flushed but managed a faltering, "No, that's fine..."

Hiding her now rather warm face in Gajeel's shoulder, she let herself relax properly for the first time since Lucy had first been attacked. She knew was safe in the arms of the dragon slayer. Now that Levy was no longer supporting herself, Gajeel was easily able to catch up with the others. Without a word spoken, Happy and Pantherlily took hold of Natsu and Gajeel respectively, flying the two dragon slayers and the wounded girls they were carrying up to the top of the crater Natsu had created less than an hour ago. Gray followed quickly behind, using his Ice Make to form a grapple hook of sorts to haul himself out of the hole.

About halfway back to the guild, Lucy began to stir from her unconsciousness. At first she was only aware of a rocking sensation that, despite being rather gentle, caused her injuries to throb painfully. After a while she opened her eyes, only to come face to face with a muscled chest. Looking upwards, cheeks reddening slightly, she saw Natsu's face set with determination.

"Natsu-san?" She asked. "What's going on?"

Natsu, hearing Lucy's voice, glancing down at her, flashing a brief smile, before returning his attention to where he was going.

"Just Natsu, remember?" He rebuked her gently.

"Gomenasai." Lucy murmured.

"It's OK, Luce," he half smiled down at her again.

Lucy felt that strange shiver pass through her, and felt her heart stutter a little. Then again, that might just have been the fact that she had suddenly realised her keys were not strapped to her belt.

"Natsu! My keys!" Lucy exclaimed urgently.

"Calm down," Natsu responded. "Ezra and Mirajane are handling things; they'll get your keys back, no problem. Right now, we need to get you to the guild so Wendy can heal you."

Lucy remained silent for a while, thinking through all that had happened to her since the day she'd awoken in Fairy Tail's infirmary to be greeted with the news that she'd lost her memories.

"Arigato." She eventually voiced.

"Huh?" Natsu responded, confused. Why would Lucy be thanking him? He'd failed, yet again to save her from harm.

"You come to my rescue every time I get hurt," Lucy explained. "I promise I'll get stronger, so you won't have to worry about me so much in the future. I'll learn to look after myself."