Chapter 17 : Two Choices

The next day. Seoul Hospital. Afternoon.

The doctor leaves with good remarks about my health, passing by Jihyun and Hyunseok who slowly approached from beside the door. I turn to look away from them, obviously wanting them to read my aura and just leave for now. But I felt Jihyun's hand warmly on top of my shoulder, "Hey. You don't have to do that. I know you well, Haneul-ah. Just please, at least rest in your house before you go on searching again, okay?"

"What are you talking about, Jihyun! Once she recovers from her tiredness, who knows where she'll fall unconscious the next time around. Mind you that Seoul is a big place, and if she were to fall into the wrong hands, I don't think I could keep calm knowing her state!" said Hyunseok, obviously like the older brother of seven siblings in his family.

"It's fine, guys.. If Haru did run away, then it's for the better. If he wanted to stay, he would have went to visit the cafe or even my house at the very least. Anyway, he was too trained in the first place. I'm pretty sure he went back to his previous owner by now." I slap both my cheeks gently, perking up a petty smirk.

"I'll just have to respect his decisions as a dog. They are smart after all, who knows, those months of feeding him treats may just lead him back to my house for a small visit, right?" I jest for the sake of saying something positive. Either way, if they knew that I was playing pretend or not, they still understood how I felt. I guess that's how friends work.

Night grew soon that lights from the outside started to flicker one by one. Hyunseok and Jihyun stayed to accompany me till I was officially released by the doctor. They helped me get into Hyunseok's car where I sat at the back seat.

"Thanks for going all the way and driving me back home, guys.." I quietly mumbled during our travel. Jihyun looks back, holding my hand briefly. "Don't sweat it, this is only a minor thing to do for a best friend after all." The jitters I felt during my stay in that Hospital soon diminished the moment they dropped me off in front of my apartment, leaving me with a warm embrace before leaving out of sight.

As much as my heart was concerned, I just couldn't start another search and rescue, admitting defeat that Haru has left for good, probably gone back to where he belongs. But still, it makes me wonder why he hasn't escaped long before when he became the delivery dog for the cafe. I rummage through my small bag and found my apartment keys.

Before I could even insert the keys into the doorknob, the door automatically opens. In my amazement, a bark sounds off from inside my apartment. I hastily push the door open to find Haru seated a meter away from me with his tail cutely wagging left and right.

My bag fell flat on the floor as I swoop to hug him ever so tightly. It felt so surreal, it felt all my struggles of searching for him endlessly was all just a big dream from the very beginning. I stare at him with ease and a little bit of tears. "Where have you been, Haru..! I've been looking everywhere for you!" I gave him one tight embrace once more, hearing his cute bark sound off near my ear. "I'm sorry for whatever I might have done wrong, Haru..! I promise to take care of you better from now on!" I place him back down, wiping my tears away with my sleeves. "Anyway, you must have been here for too long. I'll go get you something to eat."

...

Meanwhile. Xiumin's POV.

"Are you glad to see her happy again?" I tilt my head up to find Luhan knelt down staring at her. My eyes widen, jumping back a space. What the hell are you doing here! She's going to see you! "Don't worry, she won't. I'm just a projection that only you can see." I sat down helplessly. Let me guess, one of your magical powers? "You're getting the hang of things, aren't you." Luhan helps up a frilly look.