Chapter 4

Whilst you are in a deep slumber, both the king of Mirkwood and Bard rejoin the battle. Both survive but not everyone was as fortunate as them. Many elves, dwarves and humans died this day, there is nothing that can be done to change it. It has only been four hours since you fell unconscious and yet the sun is now setting on Middle Earth. Approaching your sleeping form are some tired Silvan elves. They are under the instructions of their king to carry you to his tent. Thus, upon your awakening, not only can he check on how you are feeling, he can also learn more about your identity. Nevertheless, now is not exactly the best time to query such questions of curiosity.

Still asleep, the fatigued soldiers lay your body on some thick, warm blankets inside the royal tent, whilst the king returns from his emotional conversation with Legolas. When his dolorous eyes fall upon your sleeping form, they instantly light up a little. Hence, he dismisses the guards whilst observing your intricate armour, which had been retrieved from the battle field once the war was over. The king had already decided that he would not be getting any sleep tonight, for the events of today have left many in a state of insecurity. Although the army of Mirkwood will be preparing to leave the day after tomorrow, the king sits by your side, with a glass of Mirkwood's finest wine in his hand.

Time passes and there is still no sign of you waking up any time soon. But the King does not move from your side. He is occupying his time by looking at your alluring face; which is reflecting the zinc-silver moonlight. As the wind becomes a little brisker, Thranduil leaves his place beside you to close the gap in his luxurious tent. Yet, as he is about to move away from the tent's entrance, he catches a glimpse of an anxious looking Bard, hastily making his way over to him. "Is (y/n) with you?" he asks desperately. Thranduil nods slowly and then quietly says "but she held by a deep slumber. If you wish to see her-". Before Thranduil could even finish his sentence however, Bard is stepping quietly into the warm, peaceful tent. As he steps into the tent, he spots your sleeping figure. With a sigh of relief, he starts to question Thranduil: "How long do you plan on staying here for? Now that the war is over, I assume you will want to return to Mirkwood." "I do desire to return to Mirkwood." Replies Thranduil, "but it will take a few days for my army to regain their strength and to pack away our equipment. Do not worry, I will be here to take care of your friend, she is safe with me". Thranduil had guessed by now that Bard has feelings for you, causing him to suddenly become quite protective over you.

A long silence engulfs the tent before the king continues. "Why did you command (y/n) to not fight?" It takes a while for Bard to respond, but eventually he manages to say "because, because I, I have known her since I was born, she has always been there for me, my children and everyone else in Lake-town. I- we all cannot afford to lose her." "So you were attempting to keep her hidden? Even though you knew that she could defend herself. She is easily as skilled as all of Lake-town put together, if not better." Bard becomes speechless, what is Thranduil trying to imply? "You do not think of her as a friend do you? She is more than a friend; I can see the value you hold for her within your eyes." Thranduil's words strike a chord in Bard's heart, of course he knows how he feels for you, but he also knows that you do not feel the same way towards him, and that hurts. A lot. "We ARE just friends" Bard raises his voice, momentarily forgetting that you were sleeping. The volume of his voice however is enough to wake you up.

Your eyes stay shut and you do not dare to move a muscle as you can faintly hear Thranduil and Bard's heated conversation. "Because (y/n) does not return your feelings?" "Yes", Bard replies solemnly. "But I beseech you, stop talking about this now, as I have my own questions which are in need of being answered. Why is (y/n) the one who received THREE arrow wounds, when she was accompanied by YOU, and yet you survive with nothing, no scars to conceal?" Taken aback, the king reflects back to what happened only hours ago. But he is not the only one. Memories flood your brain. What you thought were nightmares are, in fact, reality. Flashbacks haunt your mind, forcing you to re-live every moment of the battle. Causing you to scream out when you feel the arrows pierce you, even though they are memories. Sweat is beginning to gather on your skin when you feel two firm hands on your shoulders, shaking you harshly, in a haphazard bid to wake you. But this was unnecessary, as you are already awake, but in a weird state of consciousness. Nonetheless, you instantly snap out of your trance and look in front of you to see lord Thranduil dragging Bard off you. "You should leave (y/n) to rest, so she can recover from your uncalled for actions." The king demands, "I was only trying to wake her up!" "Have you already forgotten how she is in a fragile state?!" Thranduil replies quickly. Never before have you seen the King lose his cool, however you have not seen him for many years. "Fine. My apologies (y/n), I will visit you in the morning" With that, Bard leaves the tent, allowing a few tears to escape from his eyes.

To be continued.

Every time I go to upload a new part to this story, it happens to be every 9 days. So, I'll try to upload on Tuesday 21st.  

Wishing you all a fun-filled week! *-*