Chapter 16 - Going

Maura couldn’t seem to get out of bed. She wished the girls were closer today. The chemo was working, according to the doctor, but she felt so sick. She called a friend who helped her with cleaning since she became sick and then sent a text to her girls.

Christmas was in two days and the girls were supposed to come along with Mike and Ben. She smiled at the thought of both of them. They were making her children happy. She knew she could go on to Glory in peace because they were well cared for now. Not that she was trying to die, but if that’s what the Lord Almighty had planned, she knew they would want for nothing. The phone rang, interrupting her unending thoughts.

“Hey, baby!”

“Hey, Mamma. How you doin’?” Saryah asked, sounding like she was about to cry. A deep voice sounded in the background.

“Is that Ben?”

“Yeah, Mamma. He’s with me. So, what’s the deal with the chemo? You’ve been sick?”

“It’s part of the process. Hey, tell Ben I said to come on with you. He was invited, and he can sleep on my couch.” Maura heard Saryah relay the message. The next thing she heard was Saryah say “hey” before Ben started talking.

“Maura, you sure? I don’t wanna be in the way.”

“That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. You’re family, like it or lump it! You can stay on the couch, and you won’t be in the way. Anyway, this should pass before too long, and I’ll feel better. Okay?”

“Yes ma’am. See you tomorrow. Oh, before I give the phone back to Saryah, I want to cook dinner tomorrow night: Is that okay? We had a family meal we used to eat at my Grandmother’s on Christmas Eve, and I wanna make it for y’all!”

“Sounds fantastic, Ben. I’m not up to cooking, anyway, and we both know Saryah’s skills in the kitchen are limited to noodles and coffee. OH, and a mean pecan pie!”

Ben laughed so loud that Saryah thought he was going to fall off the couch. She wondered what her mom had said to evoke such a response from him.

“Here’s Saryah,” Ben said between gasps for air.

“So, Ma… We’ll see you tomorrow. Love you!”

“I love you, Baby! Tell Sonya not to worry. I’ll be okay by the time y’all get here … Hang on a second, there’s a knock at the door!”

Saryah heard her mom scream and got worried. “Moms: What is it?”

“Hang on, Sonya, lemme tell Saryah!” She heard her mom say.

“Sonya and Mike are here! Love you! See you soon, darling.”

“Bye, Moms!”

“Mike and Sonya just showed up at her door!” She informed Ben.

“She’ll be really surprised in about 5 more hours. You ready to go?” He smiled his sexy grin at her.

“Yup! Let’s go!”

He stopped her mid-stride. “Wait! We need one more thing.”

“What? We’ve thought of everything.”

“Not this!” He gathered her in his arms, securing her so she couldn’t get out of them, not that she would, and nuzzled her neck before kissing her dizzy.

“I love you, Sare… don’t ever forget it!”

“How could I? If love kisses like that, you are in deep! I ain’t complainin', mind you! And I love you, too.”