Alone In The Universe

Six months earlier

Dana checked her school bag for the fifth time in the last ten minutes. She found no change since the last time. Her sister Melissa was already applying lipgloss and fluffing her hair, to Dana's disgust.

"Missy, why do you even bother? You're only going to seduce pigs." She said, accompanied with a signature eye-roll. Melissa paused mid-fluff and glared at Dana.

"You're just a baby, anyway," Melissa said provokingly. Dana flushed and glared at her.

"I'm not a baby!" She huffed. Melissa scoffed.

"Oh, look, baby's throwing a tantrum."

"Melissa, I will slap your tacky lipgloss off of your face."

"Moron."

***

Dana kicked her locker and swore. Why won't the damn thing open? She tried her combination again and rattled it.

"Well fuck you too," she cursed. A tall, lanky boy stared at her for a second. She snapped her head at him.
"What do you want?" She barked at him. His eyes widened and he sped away, just as the first period bell rang. Dana glared at her locker. Next time. She vowed to herself and stalked over to Bio.

The only available seat in the room was next to one of those teenage body builders. The kind that cause fifteen injuries each gym class, but the school doesn't do anything about it because that particular teen bodybuilder is their best athlete. Dana sighed and sat next to him. He stared at her with his tiny, unintelligent eyes and smirked.

"Hey, honey. I'm Brad. Too bad this is chemistry, because I'm pretty sure we have biology." He grinned, then he frowned and corrected himself, "Wait, that's not it." Dana didn't wait to hear the rest of his sentence. She turned away from him and got out her binder. This is gonna be a long day.

***

After a painstakingly long hour of Brad, Dana hurried as quickly as possible to her next class. She checked her schedule and saw that she had Health. Her father had made her take health class because he wanted her to know what happens in the world. Oh, and he didn't want to give her "The Talk", even though all of that was covered in the sixth grade.

The classroom was tiny- it had about six desks and no windows, since it is a basement class. As Dana scanned the room, she noticed that about 4/6 of the students were probably here for an easy A. What they didn't realize is that this is College, not high school. You don't get As.

She sat behind a boy who's face was buried in some kind of magazine. Once in a while, he gave a tiny gasp or nod.

Dana focused on the teacher, who had just walked in. Or rather skulked in. He was short and bald with cheekbones so high that they gave him a constant squint.

He stared at the class for a moment, then started pointing at people, seemingly at random.

"You and you," he said, pointing at Dana and the boy in front of her. He put down his magazine and looked behind him. They both gasped at the same time.

"You're the locker girl!" He declared.

"You're the staring boy!" She retorted. The teacher looked at them.

"If you're finished with the accolade, I would like to announce your projects." He began, to Dana's embarrassment. She may be a tough girl, but she never got in trouble. The teacher shot her a smug look and continued his speech, "You and your assigned partner will be doing a written documentary on something that you think your classmates should learn about. You will be graded on the quality of your work. Now, begin your discussions." He ordered. Dana straightened herself and stared at her partner.

"Dana Scully. Nice to meet you," she said, opening her notebook. The boy nodded and smiled a little.

"I'm Fox Mulder. Otherwise known as Spooky Mulder." He said, looking at his large hands. Dana frowned. Spooky? Why would anyone nickname him spooky? She wondered, tapping her pen on her notebook.

"Well, Fox, any ideas for the project?" Dana asked, playing now with her choker. Fox Mulder beamed, as if he was waiting for her to ask exactly that. He took a deep breath and started lecturing Dana on the strangest things she ever heard.

"Fox, what are you talking about?" She interrupted. Fox's eyes glistened.

"Aliens, Scully. They're out there. We're not alone in this universe. We can't be." He gushed. Scully? Did he just call her by her surname? Dana raised an eyebrow and played along.

"Well, Mulder," she began, "I believe that the earth is the only livable planet in the universe we know of." She looked at Mulder's face. He was smiling still.

"Scully, I think we should do this project on Aliens."

***

A/N
Whoop! Chapter one people! Special SPECIAL thanks to EpicGeek for being so (wait for it) epic. Love you all!

P.S would any of you mind giving me a little vote before I write the next part? Thank you <3

- Phancifiles