45 : Vervain

"What's the value of Planck's constant?" Professor Joanne asked while we were halfway through a problem.

"Six point six two...something, right?" I said. "I forgot."

"Come on guys. That was one of the most commonly used value in almost every problem." She said. "Come on Zayn. Answer it."

"Um...six point six two six ten to the power of...um...I'm not sure professor." He said.

"Okay. At least you tried." She said. "Write down its value. It's preciously six point six two six zero six to ten to the power of minus thirty four."

"Preciously?" The whole class said together at once.

"Professor, preciously?" Zayn asked, while he was still standing.

"Oh sorry...I meant precisely. Tongue of slip." She said.

"What?" Zayn asked again.

"Slip of tongue. Sorry." She giggled and continued with the problem.

"Something's seriously wrong with her today." Zayn said, sitting back down. Just then the bell rang, signaling the end of the last period.

"Okay then um, take that problem as homework. Better do it." She said, and walked out sturdily.

"Should we check her out or something?" Harry said.

"Not necessarily." I said. "I'm sleepy."

"You people sleep?" Niall said.

"What, haven't you seen me sleep all these days, or should I say months?" I said.

"Yea but, after I came to know who you are, I thought you were faking it." He said.

"Seriously?" I said. "Let's go home. Will you be coming to my place, or-...?"

"Of course I'm coming to your place." He said. "Bye guys." We left immediately because I was really tired. I don't think Niall figured out what exactly is wrong with me, but, I'll have to tell him sooner, so, let him be for now.

                                                                                                       *

"Why exactly are you tried?" He asked. "Didn't have enough sleep last night? Did you go guarding Zayn's house again?"

"No I didn't." I said. "I sent someone else last night. And it's not only Zayn who needs protection now. All of you guys."

"So, who did you send?" He asked.

"A group of young vampires." I said. "They love having the night shift, something I hate."

"That's...pretty obvious though." He said. "Anyways, are you transforming tonight or something? There's no other reason-..."

"Oh, so you figured it out, huh?" I said.

"Will it be safe for me?" He asked.

"Um..."

"What?" He asked.

"Don't worry." I said. "I won't be transforming while at home. I'll be somewhere else."

"So, I'll be alone without anyone's protection, all alone, in a colony full of vampires and werewolves. Does that sound like a practical idea?" He said.

"I'll be going to Lisa's place for the night. You can go to Liam's place. You'll be safe there." I said. "That's why I asked you will you be coming to my place."

"How does it feel when you transform? Do you have control over yourself?" He asked.

"Absolutely not." I said. "I will have complete awareness, but still, however, have no control of my actions in my werewolf form."

"Why is it that you avoid transformation?" He asked.

"Because it causes a lot of pain. Transformation is not as easy as you think." I said. "That's why I try to avoid it at all cost."

"I don't mean to um, harm you or anything, but, I'm curious." He asked. "What's the only way you can die?"

"Planning to kill me?" I asked.

"No way." He said. "Why should I kill you? I asked you because, whatever way that is, I'll make sure it won't come in your way." 

"Oh, is it? Then, there's no way you can stop me from it." I said.

"What? What is it?" He asked.

"Okay...listen." I said. "There are several ways to kill a hybrid like me. Killing a vampire or a werewolf is not this hard."

"Uh huh?  " He said. "Go on."

"One of the most painful deaths is with the use of devil's star." I said. "The Devil's Star is a dark object. It resembles a shuriken. The Star was designed to be thrown at and had been magically instilled such that a thousand cuts will be inflicted when embedded into a person's body."

"Ouch." He said. "Next?"

"Witches are able to give supernatural aneurysms that cause the blood vessels of hybrids to explode." I said.

"So, SHE can actually kill you?" He said.

"Yea." I said. "But, SHE can't, because whatever she can't use her magic directly on me."

"But SHE can do it indirectly, right?" He asked.

"Yep." I said. "Then there's vervain."

"Ver what?" He asked.

"Vervain." I said. "Vervain. Oh my gosh, why didn't I think of this earlier?"

"What?" He asked.

"Vervain." I said.

"WHAT?" He repeated. The doorbell rang. Niall ran to open the door. It was Elsa. On seeing her, I jumped out of the sofa and ran to her. "Where's Zayn?"

"I don't know." She said. "I actually came looking for him here. He's not answering my calls."

"Must be at Louis' place." Niall said.

"No. I checked. Any idea?" She asked.

"I also need to see him right now." I said.

"Why?" She asked. "Something important?"

"Yes." I said. "Vervain."

"Ver what?" She asked. "What's that?"

"Vervain. It's this herb that's a weakness for vampires, also for me, because of my vampire side. It causes vampires to stay away from humans. It acts like a barrier, a protection for humans." I said.

"How does it work exactly?" Elsa asked.

"Simple." I said. "He just needs to add it to whatever he eats or drinks. Or the best way, he just needs to carry it wherever he goes." 

"How does it taste?" Niall asked.

"I don't know, since I can't use it." I said.

"But, where is he?" Elsa said. 

"Where can he possibly be?" I asked. 

"At home. Nowhere else." Niall said. "Let's go right away." 

"But wait, don't we need this thing right now, this ver, what was it?" Elsa said.

"Vervain." I said. "I don't know where to find it."

"Liam or Lisa might probably know." Elsa said. 

"They? Huh, they would probably try and stay as far away from them as possible." I said.

"Your mom?" Niall said.

"Can't. She's also a vampire." I said.

"Then, who?" Lisa asked.