Story 49--Something to Believe In (1)

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," you let in, brushing all doubts aside. "For sure. I'll help."

"Yay!" Tadashi cheered and took your hands and started dancing around the Cafe. "Thank you thank you thank you!"

You laughed as you felt yourself spin in circles, oblivious to the attention you were getting. "Hey, anything for a friend, yeah?" You stopped spinning and grabbed your backpack, heading inside the main apartment with Tadashi to practice.

**********

"Wherever you go, I'll be right by your side."

The two of you were now rehearsing the final scene now of the musical. It was  already pretty dark outside, but you were determined to help Tadashi with his dream. So far, you've shown him the movie, you've shown him the musical, and now you were running through the entire musical, with Tadashi as Jack and you as Katherine--up to this point.

"For sure?" Tadashi asked, as part of the script.

"For sure," you assured him.

Then Tadashi started singing.

Don't take much to be a dreamer
All you do is close your eyes
But some made-up world is all you ever see
Now my eyes is finally open
And my dreams, they's average-size
But they don't much matter if you ain't with me

You felt yourself tense as you recalled what was supposed to happen. Back when you were still a small girl, you would always close your eyes and scream out "EW! PDA!" But now you would give anything to be able to perform alongside Tadashi. You felt your heart pound so hard at the small distance between you and Tadashi, your palms collecting a thin layer of sweat as the both of you leaned in towards each other. But just before your lips could make any contact whatsoever--

RING RING RING!

"Crap," you muttered, pulling away and rummaging through your backpack for your phone, picking up the call and holding your phone to your ear. "Hello?"

"(Y/N), where the hell are you?" your mom's voice scolded you, a great deal of anger and a slight trace of fear laced in her voice.

"I...I'm at Tadashi's," you simply said. "Just helping him practice for his upcoming audition for 'Newsies'. Why? Is something wrong? What's going on?"

"It's your father," your mom told you hurriedly. "He's in the hospital suffering very severe injuries from a car crash only a few hours ago. You have to come over. Immediately."

Your heart raced as you heard the news. Your father, your biggest role model and idol, was now in the hospital, with almost no chance at survival, fighting for his life now, and yet here you were, helping someone else that in no way benefits you. How could you have been so selfish, hoping that Tadashi would kiss you at last when your father is close to being proclaimed dead?

"I'm coming over," you boldly declared over the phone, brushing the tears away with your hand. "I'll get there as fast as I can. I'll see you soon. Just hang in there."

You hung up instantly and put your phone in your pocket, shouldering your backpack.  This took Tadashi by surprise, and he put his papers down and approached you with a concerned look.

"(Y/N), where are you going?" Tadashi asked.

"Hospital. My dad's severely hurt," you answered, trying not to choke on your voice.

"Then let me come with you," he said firmly. "It's my fault you're kept behind so late."

But you shook your head. "I don't want you getting involved, Tadashi. I'm the one in trouble; I have to go alone," you said. "Don't worry about me. My mom isn't THAT strict. But I'm really worried about my dad. It's...well, it's a personal thing, Tadashi. I have to go on my own."