The Aftermath Is Secondary

Gerard was sitting silently, thinking as usual.

Frank was hacking a BL/ind machine for some food and some new guns.

When he finished, he walked over and tossed a can over towards Gerard, who caught it without looking up.

"Could you tune up D, please?" Frank asked, quietly, almost nervously.

Gerard did, without a word.

"Tumbleweeds, keep up. More swarms of Dracs headed your way. Watch out, my friends. Since the exterminator attack, we can never be sure. Don't fight, I beg. You have to stay out of their way. It's almost nighttime, children. Don't let them take you as they have your friends- now- It's-- go-- g-ni----"

The hiss of static took over, and Frank looked up.

"We should go."

Gerard looked back at him with a look that Frank had never seen and never wanted to see again.

"Then go."

Frank choked up a little. "Yeah, okay, come on. Let's go."

"I'm not going, but you're welcome to."

"What- what're you talking about, you have to go, too... right?"

"Frank, there's not much left for me. I'll hold them back for you. Just go."

"But, what... What if you run into that exterminator?"

"Then I won't care if it makes you a little safer. Please. They're coming, so go."

"Gerard, I'm not going anywhere. Don't be fucking stupid, I'm not going anywhere without you."

"Frank, there's nothing here for me but you, and-"

"Yes, Gee, I'm here for you, and I wouldn't be here without you, so I'm not fucking leaving, I-"

He was cut off when they heard yells from behind them. Both boys looked behind them.

They were here.

Frank turned back to Gerard and pulled out his gun.

"If you're not going anywhere, then neither am I."

Gerard shut his eyes, tears in them, but knew that no amount of convincing would do the trick.

So he pulled out his gun.

Looking closer, there was, in fact, an exterminator.

This meant neither of them was coming out alive.

And maybe, if they were with each other, they just didn't care.

They started shooting.

They knocked out a Drac about every 5 shots, which was good, but they needed better.

They worked to speed things up, making it one Drac every 3 shots, which was better.

When Gerard saw the exterminator's face, something clicked inside of him.

And he was mad.

Suddenly he turned his aim to the exterminator, almost every bullet hitting it.

But he was doing little damage.

Frank shrieked at him. "Gerard! Get away from there!"

Gerard was screaming, himself, though, which far drowned out Frank. The anger in his voice was indescribable.

"You killed my fucking brother!"

The exterminator caught his eye. He turned over, slowly, and lifted his ray gun, aligning it with Gerard's head.