Chapter 3

A heads-up would have been nice, of course, I didn't get one. Ember, with one flap of her wings we were launched out of the cave and into the sky. My grip tightens around Ember's scales. We flew into the clouds, we were so high up but I wasn't worried about falling. I wasn't scared like I should have been if anything I felt... free. I moved from my sitting position and stood up. Ember stayed steady as we the soared above the clouds hidden from the public eye. I knew that if were to be caught I was dead, but I never felt more alive. I never knew what I was missing, I felt whole, complete, this is how things are supposed to be, this is where I belong.

After continuing to fly for a while more Ember said we were almost there. Ember dived nose first towards the ground, I dropped and clung to her neck. She swooped down and came to a stop on the ground. I slid off and took in my surroundings. This place it was like an oasis. A waterfall poured into a huge lake, very deep by the looks of it. A mountain with tons of caves and rocky paths. Trees and brushes created shade, Ember roared, loudly, rocks shifted and 4 more loud cries were heard coming from the caves. A green scaly head came out of the nearest cave. Than 7 dragons from the top 4 caves came out and looked at me. I count maybe 40 dragons all in one place. I stared in awe this place was amazing, it was paradise

Scarlet welcome to the cove, my home and yours if you want it to be. Ember looked down at me

"How can I go back to my old life," I say in awe of the paradise in front of me. I can't go back, this is what I was missing. I'm selfish for wanting to stay but this filled that hole in my heart. For my entire life I lived with my mother and father and now I was running away. I loved them and I was running away, but I feel whole here. The thing I was missing my entire life was right here and I couldn't go back to living half a life.

Bane get your sorry tail down here! Ember said but out loud not just in my head. She didn't move her mouth, though. One more thing I have to ask her later. By the tone of Ember's voice, you could tell she was just playing around.

Coming your highness. A dragon a larger than Ember landed in front of us and spoke in a jokingly tone. The dragon had dark green scales, wickedly sharp teeth. What's the human doing here?

A dragon rider idiot Ember snorted. She took her claw and gently swept away my hair covering my mark. The sides of her jaw crept up and I swear I almost saw her smile.

This is Bane he's second in command around here. Everybody listen up, we have a dragon rider living with us form now on. This is Scarlet Haven, I want you to treat her like one of your own, respect her. Ember shouts, you could tell she was very much respected by the other dragons. The dragons simply nodded and then went back to their business.

Bane turned towards me and smiled. What's up? He said

.....

Bane and Ember lead me over to cave where human supplies were stacked in a back corner. They were somewhat organized in wooden crates and bins. My face lit up when I saw soaps and fresh clothes, it had been a little over 24 hours since I left home and was in dire need of a shower. But first I needed some answers.

"Why?" I asked, my back was to Ember so I couldn't see her expression.

Why what? Ember said in my head.

"Why invite me here? Why protect me?"

Why? I made a promise a very long time ago to a very good friend. I was to protect you, watch over you. I intend to keep my promise.

"A promise? To who? You know me?" I ask now facing Ember. There is a lot I want to know, so much I need to know. Has there been dragons watching over me and who would they do that for?

I don't know you exactly but I knew of someone in your family. That whole story is for another time. You will find whatever you need in that. Ember says referring to the boxes behind me.

"Before, how did you talk out loud?"

Dragons are really no different from humans. We can talk out loud and talk in the minds of dragons and humans.

"Interesting" I comment.

Anything else you want to ask me?

"Yeah, you and Bane together?" A smile creeps across my face. I swear I heard Ember laugh as she walked away. I think I'm going to like it here