Chapter 13

"Toby and (Y/N) sittin' in a tree," Sally sang gleefully as she twirled around the kitchen island, "K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

Toby chuckled, grabbed Sally by her waist, and lifted her into the air and over his shoulder, spinning her in circles as she giggled.

"You better knock it off, pipsqueak," Toby grinned.

"Make me!" She laughed. Toby just shrugged and spun her around and out into the living room where he dumped her on the couch.

"Don't you dare!" Sally screamed as Toby wiggled his twitching fingers and drew closer to her. Toby ignored her warning and began to tickle her. When she finally agreed to stop singing, Toby released her with the promise of a tea party later.

"Are you ready?" Toby asked you as he reclaimed his seat at the island beside you.

"Ready for what?"

"For some more training," he replied in a 'duh' tone.

"But I'm so tired," you protested.

"And I so don't care," Toby smirked. "Meet me out back in ten." And with that, he left you.

You groaned and hopped to your feet, mumbling under your breath as you went upstairs to retrieve your cleaver and change. Once you were ready, you trailed out into the backyard and searched for Toby. You wandered all the way to the tree line but he was nowhere in sight.

"Up here!" A familiar voice called. You looked up to see Toby nimbly perched on a tree limb high above you.

"What the hell are you doing up there?" You shouted.

"Starting today's lesson," he shouted back. "Get your ass up here."

"Excuse me?"

"Must I repeat myself?" Toby sighed.

"I hate you," you muttered as you began to scale the tree carefully. You ignored the scratches and splinters and pressed on to the top where Toby was observing quietly. It made you nervous that he wasn't saying anything and your hands began to sweat.

You looked up to find you only had a few more large branches to go. Your hands slipped on the semi-smooth tree barks a few times, but you'd managed to clasp a handful of leaves just in time. The worried look on Toby's pale face when you slipped up was oddly satisfying and only encouraged you to prove how able you were.

"You passed Stage One with flying colors," Toby grinned once you reached him. "Now let's see how well you adapt to Stage Two."

"Stage Two?" You panted. "What do I have to do, jump from tree to tree or something?"

"That's exactly what you have to do."

"You've got to be kidding me," you frowned.

"This is a very important part of your training. Do you want to be one of us or not?"

"Fine," you replied coolly and wiped your sweaty palms on your jeans. You rolled up your sleeves and extended your arms to your sides as you balanced on the thick branch. You took careful steps to as far as the limb could support you and scanned the closest tree.

You faltered for a moment and cast a nervous look to Toby over your shoulder and asked, "What if I fall?"

"You won't."

"But what if?"

"Just trust me."

You took a shaky breath and turned back to the nearest tree. You analyzed the largest limb and decided to aim for a lower one that could support your weight without a doubt. Taking a deep breath and acting before you could over think it, you jumped. Wind rushed past your face and whipped your hair, but you didn't scream. In a matter of seconds, you grabbed ahold of the branch and swung your legs up and around it.