Chapter 1

Stepping out into the rain, you spread your arms wide, spinning in a circle, a wide grin on your face. You were done, at least for this year. Then one more year and you would be done with school forever! This semester had been horrible, your classes beyond tough, and your part time job was turning into a full time one. You had just taken your last final for the year, and all the pressure of school melted off your shoulders as the rain soaked your dark brown shoulder length hair. Knowing you had passed all classes, you felt like celebrating, and you knew exactly the place. Your friend Gina, was the main bartender down at The Local, the best bar in town.

Avoiding puddles, you make your way to your nondescript blue Toyota, throwing your backpack into the back seat that was already messy with books, papers, and notebooks.

Within ten minutes, you pull into the gravel parking lot, glad there were only a couple of cars in the lot. Less customers meant more time for you and Gina to talk. Between classes, studying, and work at the shooting range, you hadn't seen your friend in two weeks.

Opening the heavy wooden door, you take in the place. As with any bar, there was always the sickly sweet smell of alcohol, perfume and body sweat. There were high tables placed throughout, with booths being more secluded. Two pool tables were placed toward the back, with a jukebox in between. At one side of the building was a long wooden counter, with faded leather stools. Your friend stood behind the bar, wiping it down. Automatically, you straighten your shirt, and tuck your hair behind your ears. You've been friends with Gina for 15 years, and it's always been the same. Gina is the all American girl, blonde hair, blue eyes, perfect body, and a sweatheart. You loved her like a sister, but you always felt plain next to her, with your dark chestnut hair, hazel eyes, and fuller body.

"Y/ N! I didn't expect to see you yet! Don't you have more finals?" Gina exclaimed, running around the bar to give me a hug.

Hugging her back, "Nope, just finished my last one. Felt like coming here to celebrate."

"Drinks are on the house tonight, and I get off in an hour and we can really celebrate then." Gina said, passing you a couple of shots.

Taking your time with the shots, you talk about everything, in between her taking orders. It felt nice to sit and relax, and not worry about tomorrow.

The hour passed quickly, the time filled with conversation and drinks. By the time Gina went to clock out, you had a nice buzz going, and the bar was starting to fill up.

Grabbing your hand, Gina drug you over to the jukebox, picking a song. "Come on, let's dance."

The rest of the night was a blur. The music played all night, and the shots were never ending. By one o'clock, you were feeling the effects, and turned towards Gina, "I think I need to get home," you slur.

"Of course, let's get you home. I'll drive, you can spend the night, and we can pick your car up tomorrow. "

Leaning into her for support, you slowly make your way out the door, shuffling to where Gina's old volkswagen beetle was parked. Falling into the seat, you lean your head back. "Gina you sure your good to drive? We could call a cab," you attempt to say.
"Sure, I'm good. I can hold my liquor," She argues with you, fumbling for her keys, finally starting the car. Closing your eyes, you pay no attention as she leaves the gravel behind for the pavement.

"So, now that's school out, how 'bout we work on finding the both of us some men. How longs it been Y/ N?" Gina asks, switching her eyes from the road to you.

"Not long enough," you reply. Your last relationship had ended badly, and you weren't ready to put yourself back out there yet.

"Come on, Y / N, wouldn't it be fun to go on double dates again!" Gina pleads, and you open your eyes, feeling the car swerve a little bit.

"K, Gina, whatever. But let's talk about this later. You sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine! Stop worrying."

Feeling your buzz slightly slip away, you keep your eyes open and look at the road. At least Gina lived in the country, not as many cars would be on the road right now.

"Hey Gina, not to be a bitch, but maybe you could slow down a little, it's pretty dark, there might be an animal or something on the road."

"I got it Y / N, I know this road really well."

Deciding to stop bugging her, you turn the music up.

"I love this song!" Gina exclaims, just as a Deer runs right out in front of her.

You watch as everything happens in slow motion. The deer stops, looking straight at the car. Gina yanks the steering wheel, causing the small car to swerve off the road. Bouncing along the gravel shoulder, it blows a tire and tips precariously. Seeing the huge tree looming straight ahead, you scream at Gina, holding your arms in front of your face, trying to shield yourself from the impending collision. As the car hits the tree, you see Gina get thrown through the windshield, before everything goes black.