Part 9

"And if you hear me talking on the wind,
You've got to understand
We must remain,
perfect strangers!"

YOU

The taxi came to a halt as the driver turned off the cab meter. Chace looked at the limping body of the girl next to him and sighed. What else did this night have in store for him?

"How much?" He asked the disgruntled driver who was not so enthusiastic about his comatose passenger. "That will be $345 up front, cash please."

"Excuse me? We drove from Airport to Lexis Heights, that is barely..," Until realization dawned upon Chase's face. That bastard. "you didn't turn off the engine while we were dealing with her, did you!" It was like the universe had conspired hard and long just to make sure Chase was the lucky loser of the day. "You never told me to turn it off," the driver was finally having his moment "so $345, thank you very much!"

Fuck it. He thought and gave cash to the driver wishing him a painful death. So there he was now. A man with a backpack. A suitcase. And one unconscious girl. The lobby of the apartment was deserted, everyone must be out on. It was a Saturday. And here he was stuck with a stranger. It still hadn't hit him why did he not just take her straight to the police or hospital. Dragging everything inside, he took a deep breath after stashing everything and everybody in the elevator. After few seconds, he was home. The elevator opened directly in his lounge and he thanked his stars for settling for the luxurious apartment.

He couched the girl on the sofa and turned the lights on. That was the first time he actually saw her.

Hey huge eyes were hidden under the shades of long lashes. Her nose, thin and straight, had a little diamond shining on the left. Her hair was in a messy bun with long strands falling on all sides and her bronzed skin was the color of olives. The tan with dark brown hair made her attractive even with her lower lip busted and her face partially covered in blood.

Blood.

Accident.

Shit.

Why didn't he take her to the hospital? Or to the police? She could be one of the sex workers but her dress suggested otherwise. She was covered in what looked like a maxi, but not quite like it. The only piece of jewellery on her was that diamond in her nose. What if she was smuggled here? What if she was a part of the terrorist groups? She was definitely from the Middle East. Oh no, this wasn't right. He didn't know what got in to him that he just brought her to his apartment but now his senses were all tingling. This was a bad idea. He reached for his phone in the pocket to call 911 when suddenly, she stirred.

His hand came to an abrupt halt.

[[[[ This chapter is dedicated to @luciaVelezdePaz for being the first person to comment on Miles Apart! A massive thank you to her!!! ]]]]]