Chapter 22- Waking Distance (Vincent's PoV)

• Dedicated to To Sarah, who wrote me a beautiful fan email to write this chapter.

"It is in our nature to internally seek revenge on mankind. Thusly due to how deeply under our skin of layers they can cut, leaving us to be infected by cruel fates and unwanted burdens. Men do not feel sorrow nor pain. Only women bleed"

--Book of Encounters 

Fearing that blinding sunlight might burn my eyes as the sound of whispering voices woke me, I opened my eyes cautiously, but the dull darkness of early morning was a welcome feeling. I moved in lazy luxury against my pillow. I was hard, as usual, and with bitterness recalled last night. And it's absence of intercourse. I turned to reach for the slumbering body that was normally beside me to only find the place empty and cold.

With a slightly panicked jerk, I sat up in the bed. Gazing around the room; there were a few candles lit behind the dressing screen. I glanced between the opened spaces to see whispering maids fussing about. The blonde maid that stayed at my home, Alma, was cradling behind Reyna in quite conversation. I lay back down and watched as my wife gently fixed khal around her eyes; occasionally wiping them. She was crying, I realized, noting the redness and puffiness of her eyes. My words were mean and unkind, but her words were cruel, I fought the idea to apologize. The brink of too early in the morning was drifting me back to sleep. As my eyes closed, I saw a tear fall. 

I woke up to blinding sunlight and the disturbed sound of something breathing on me. I turned to see the smiling face of a black Cocker Spaniel. For a moment I stared bewildered wondering how the hell it managed to get on the bed. It's tail thumped lazily on the sheets, the more I moved the faster it would wag.

"Hello there, have you had a good morning?" I asked.  She seemed thrilled to have me speak and pounced onto me, licking its saliva all over my face. "Oh, shut up you" I muttered laughing as I pulled her off of me. And sat up to pat its dark fur.

I realized that if Duffy Aalish was here, then someone must have let her out of her room. I scanned the room, yet there were no signs of Reyna or Aden Orel, her companion.  I missed waking up with her with me, under me, and it had only ben one night.

"Where's mummy, eh? Where is she?" I coo to the dog's delight.

Patting her once more before getting out of the bed to get dressed. The dog lay on the bed watching me. Whilst I dressed in what I thought is appropriate hunting wear, I occasionally smiled at her, feeling genuine joy only a animal could bring. Yet everytime I did I pondered, if Reyna was a mummy, then that would make me a daddy. My stomach twisted at the thought. The image of spilling my seed into Reyna's thin form flashes in my mind as I recall the past intimacies we have shared over the past days. I think of the creation my seed brings. I imagine witnessing Reyna's womb growing over time of months, watching her breasts fill with the milk our child will drink. Strangely the image of something else tasting my wife's flesh angers me with a strange jealousy.  I continued getting dressed. Slowly. Emotionless.

The dog's nails tapped on the wooden floor as it followed behind me. I searched each room with a quick glance until I finally found her. Her back was facing me; she was a blooming of maroon gown and piled hair. I walked in silently and slowly; cautious of where we stood in our relationship. Anger swelled inside me just seeing her. The darkly coloured dog pounced over to play with its golden mate. I observed as they obeyed her command of tricks for small meaty treats. She's taught them well, in the short week we've ben here. The two were like soldiers, following orders with strict accuracy. My manhood swelled once more as I noted how her breasts jiggled when she laughed. Something she will no longer do when I'm around her. Laughter and smiles are now reddening tears and soft sob in quite morning masked by a painted face. My cock throbbed in denial. What am I to do? Force her to satisfy me? I told it bitterly. It's your right. It answered. No. When I take her, it is because she wants to be taken. I shifted trying to ease my scorching organ; the floor creaked under my feet catching her notice. Her eyes darkened immediately. 

"Husband." She greeted coldly, turning her attentions back to the dogs.

"Wife" I retorted back. "You are not dressed for riding. Did no one tell you we shall be riding to the Lord's hunting lodge?" The image of her bouncing along as she rode a horse was drying my mouth like a desert breeze. There should be carriages; or no, she could ride me.  I almost said it out loud. One night. One night! And I'm like a rabbit in need of a hole. A tight, wet one. Oh, god she was so tight.... Stop it! God, man! Get a hold of yourself! You are acting weak, as weak as mother predicted.  I shook my head as if to clear it.

"I did not think you still wanted me to come with you. Ruining your life and all." She spoke in such a tone it was as if my words were as dull and boring as a nun.

"Oh, cut it out! Don't fuck with me, you know what you had said and done crossed the line. Now, until you grow some sense, keep your mouth shut and act like a wife!" My breathed hissed through clenched teeth as I lost my temper. 

For the first time, she finally looked at me. And looked sad.  "I am sorry..."

"Yeah, you are sorry; about a lot of things." I snapped cutting her off. I turned on my heel and stomped off. I am not nothing. I'm not. I'm worth being noticed in this shit pile of a world. I sighed; it's going to be a long trip.