Chapter 3

“How have you been?” you asked, leaning back in your seat. I had finally managed to compose myself and the conversation had melded into nothing but small talk. 

“Fine. A little...off, but I’m fine,” I mumbled, staring straight out at the road that seemed to run on and on for miles ahead of us. It would be so easy just to ease onto the gas and take off...

“That’s good,” you said, shooting me a small smile. The corners of my lips twitched in response but I quelled the grin in its tracks. 

“How have you been?” I asked, after another interval of comfortable silence. 

“Fine,” you bit out, obviously trying not to sound irritated. Another pang of guilt hit me full force in the chest and my nose scrunched up at the sensation. Of course you’d only be fine. I sent you to prison for five years. 

I sighed and looked down at my watch, noticing it was nearly seven o’ clock. I had exams tomorrow and needed to study for a few hours, but somehow, that didn’t seem so important after spending some time with you. Trivial, I guess you could say. It wasn’t like I’d need it to survive someday, out in the wild, wild world...

“I need to be getting back,” I stated, my keys hovering just above the ignition. Your mouth straightened into a thin line, but you nodded, sitting up and re-buckling yourself. 

“Where are you going to be staying?” I asked, putting the car in gear. I made a hasty u-turn, flying back through the grasslands to get to town. It was late evening now, the last rays of the sun retreating back into the horizon, slinking back over the mountains in the distance. You were quiet for a moment, staring out at the beautiful scenery. By the slight twist of your mouth I could tell you did not favor the small buildings dotting the road ahead. You would have liked it better with no civilization at all. 

“Maybe a small motel. I haven’t decided yet,” you murmured, shrugging. I knew there were only two inns set on the outer ring of the city. Close to the restaurants but also near the rolling hills. 

“There’s a nice bed and breakfast ten minutes from here,” I suggested, trying to keep my voice neutral. I didn’t want you to find out that I’d briefly considered inviting you to my dorm. I had no roommates and it wouldn’t have caused a problem-

I bit my tongue, hard. I needed to stop these thoughts. 

You shrugged again, opting for silence and I suddenly realized what the problem was. You didn’t have any money. You’d just gotten out of prison and had nothing but the clothes on your back. And my letter. Maybe you could sell it to the local library, claim it was a book you stumbled upon in some foreign country...

“There’s a shelter, it’s nice as places go. Free board and food, no kick out dates,” I said, already heading in that direction. I glanced at you from the corner of my eye, and my heart clenched as I saw hurt flash across your face. I gnawed on my bottom lip, an old nervous habit I thought I’d broken. Did you honestly expect me to take you to where I lived? 

I pulled up in front of the homey building, the blue walls and bright yellow sign overly cheerful. “Haven” shone in luminescent letters above the door, a cheesy but truthful name. I didn’t shut the car off, not wanting to drop into another conversation. I needed to get my head straight before I did something I’d regret. 

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled, as you exited the car with the letter, fists clenched, jaw tight. You stooped down to say something, open mouth holding a grimace, but stiffened abruptly. Your eyes roamed over my face, taking in the indecision and the turmoil there, before you stepped away again, closing the door softly. I breathed out a sigh of relief. 

You stood on the walk and waved once, before turning and disappearing into the building. I sped away, tires squealing against asphalt, the smell of burning rubber reaching my nose. 

I was back at my dorm in twenty minutes, the campus only a few blocks from where you were staying. You were bound to stumble upon it if you planned on staying long, but I was sure that you wouldn’t know my dorm number. Unless you took up stalking me again. I shuddered at the thought, remembering the birds nest you’d left on my windowsill, all those years ago. I let myself into the room, the walls instantly soothing my tense being. I’d gotten one of the art majors to repaint my room for a small fee of one hundred dollars. Towering pine trees lined the four walls, as real as a forest itself. Shadows danced in between the trunks, grass spurting from the floorboards. It was the exact opposite of the red desert. This place was lush, thriving and serene. I often lost myself, staring as the small orange, glow in the dark specks lining the room. It had dawned on me a good week after she’d painted the room that they were fireflies. 

I collapsed onto my bed, kicking off my shoes and running my fingers through my hair. I’d debated on whether or not to call my parents, but quickly dismissed the idea. You’d be back behind bars before you could say ‘butter bean’. 

I didn’t have many -scratch that, any- friends here, and I simply didn’t have much of a connection with the ones back in London. I rubbed my eyes, pulling the blankets up over myself. As the sun fully set, the little fire flies came out to play, illuminating the room in the slightest glow. I thought over all that had happened, trying to plan out what my next steps would be. Nothing was coming to mind and I looked at the dots for answers. They reminded me vaguely of stars littering the night sky. I stared at them until my eyes began to droop, and I couldn’t fight sleep anymore. 

I dreamed of you that night, as I often did. But when I awoke a smile adorned my face, and try as I may, I couldn’t quite seem to wipe it off.