Chapter 2

"You're going to college now?" You asked, turning towards me from your spot in the passengers seat. You didn't exactly sound surprised, because I must have told you a million times this is what I had planned for myself before you'd...stolen me. You didn't sound elated either. Actually, your voice didn't sound like anything. Neutral.

"Yes,"I replied, keeping my eyes firmly locked on the road. On the outside I might have appeared to be calm, but on the inside a jagged tornado of nothing but glass was tearing apart my mind.

What in the bloody hell did I just do!?!

If my parents found out I was with you, they'd go borderline psychotic. I'd jump onboard that train very shortly, if I wasn't already on it. What was I thinking!? This - this was wrong. I wasn't supposed to be with you now, with you ever!

Street after street whizzed by, my car seeming to have a mind of its own. Maybe my subconscious coming to the surface.

"Is it a big college?" you asked, startling me from my thoughts. I could feel your gaze, burning its way into the side of my face, focus as pinpointed as ever. I realized I was not as good as hiding what I was thinking as I'd thought.

"No, it's small. Maybe around five hundred people - a little more. I don't know," I rambled, making a sudden turn. We were in a nicer part of the small town, though it was still very quiet.

Deventer only had a population of 5,000, so anywhere was bound to be very solitary.

"This town is nice - quaint," You stated, running a hand through your hair. I heard the question lying beneath your words. Last time we'd talked I'd mentioned the beauty of bustling city life in England. Now though, I lived in the ever silent town of Deventer in the Netherlands. Not a complete 180 from life in the outback, or night life in England.

"It's in between. Not as noisy," I answered, knowing that you knew what I was referring to by the quick nod of your head.

"What about your parents?" you inquired, looking out at the small cafes and occasional two story apartment. We were nearing city limits, where only blatant country side lay, along with a few farms.

"Still in London. They visit occasionally," I quipped. My hands were slipping and sliding on the wheel, my palms laden with sweat. I began to realize I was nervous.

Well, why wouldn't I be!? It just occurred to me that you could indeed over power me, and steal me away again. It was just the matter of if you would.

We said no more for the rest of the drive, though I was hesitant to go farther than two miles out of the city. I pulled the car off to the side of the road, and with a sputter it shut off.

I pulled my knees up to my chest, resting my head atop them, waiting for you to say something. I began to wonder why I'd even done this. Why couldn't I have just walked away when I had the chance?

"Your letter," were the first two words out of your mouth. I gulped, throat going dry. My eyes flashed to the stack of papers that rested in the back seat, before settling onto the dashboard.

"Hm?" I hummed, not trusting myself enough to speak.

"Was it true? All of it?" You asked, your eyes still trained on me. I was surprised my face didn't melt from the intensity of your stare.

I nodded, keeping my eyes locked on three little indents on the dashboard.

"I'm sorry," you said, the sincerity in your voice nearly drowning me beneath a wave of sudden grief. I blanched, heart stilling for a moment.

"Ty..." I whispered, eyes flickering up to meet yours.

"I am, Gemma. For everything. I- I didn't know..." You sighed, voice pleading, desperate. Traitor tears stung my eyes again and I buried my face in my hands.

"Ty, don't," I choked out, nearly gnawing off my lip to keep a sob at bay. This wasn't supposed to happen! You were never supposed to apologize for anything! Now I knew why I never should have gotten into the car with you. Because I knew that this is what you'd wind up doing. And I was so furious at myself, not because I'd fallen for you in the first place, but for never getting over you. And I knew when the moment came I would not just listen to your apologies, I'd accept them.

"Gemma..."

"P-please," I mumbled, knowing I was one plea away from... falling, again. One step from the unknown. Where would we go from here? What questions would be asked next? The letter addressed everything, except for the future.

"I love you, Gemma. I do. Please, if you don't want know anything else about me, know that," you begged, reaching out and taking a hold of one of my hands. They were a bit smoother than before, but still rough. I shook my head, the movement not a yes or a no or a maybe. I think it was just a startled twitch.

"I - I, uh," I mumbled, tugging my hand gently from yours to wipe away a few traitorous tears.

"I'm not asking anything of you, Gemma. You will do what you want from here. I won't force you into anything," You said, but I could detect the smallest crack in your voice. It pained you to give me that freedom, but I was thankful that you'd done it.

"I need... time. I just - I'd thought I - ".

"You thought you'd gotten over me?" you supplied, and I nodded a sudden flame igniting my cheeks. I was so damn transparent. "It has been five years, hasn't it?"

"Yeah," I squeaked out, suddenly widely confused. Why was I out here? This was crazy. We could never be...together - not that I even wanted that. Did I? We couldn't go back to the outback. Or could we?

Could I ever make sense of this? Of us? Of me?