Blinking unexpected tears away, my eyes met a pair of shocking blue ones and I breathed out a sigh of relief.

It was Chance.

Everything about him was the same except for his expression.

His usual calm, arrogant demeanor had morphed into a wild one. His eyes were filled with anxiety, anger, and...worry.

However, he seemed to calm down a little when he saw me climb out from under the desk.

"What the hell happened?" he shouted, anger laced through his words.

He rushed over to the filing cabinet, which was now a complete mess. Files were strewn everywhere and ripped pieces of paper littered the ground. There was a dent in the side of the cabinet from where the mysterious man had punched it

"I don't know. One minute I'm finishing my filing and the next some unidentified man comes into your office. I didn't know what to do so I hid under your desk," I babbled on, unable to hide my frantic.

 I knew I looked like a complete mess. My face was flushed with fear. Tears still streaked my cheeks. And my hair was most likely a frazzled mess.

Chance stared at me, his mouth in the shape of an 'o'. Finally he seemed to snap out of it.

"Why didn't you confront him? He obviously wasn't supposed to be in here!"

"Oh, sorry for not body guarding your precious file cabinet. He was a grown man. He could have easily hurt me." I protested, and despite my efforts, couldn't stop my voice from shaking.

Who the hell did he think he was to yell at me? I wasn't the confrontational type. I was actually quite vertically challenged, not to mention the opposite of athletic.

Chance shook his head. He let out a string of curses and started digging through the file cabinet.

"No, no, no," he murmured under his breath.

His eyes were wild. He picked out a file and I noticed it was the one that I was looking at before the man came into the room. The one that talked about the Platinum.

He opened the file and gave a huge sigh of relief when the pieces of paper were still in it.

"What's so important about that?" I asked, no longer able to hide my curiosity.

"Nothing," Chance snapped, eyes turning cold.

I was taken aback by his sudden harshness. One minute he's worried, than the next he's angry. Now he's just being a dick.

I watched as Chance pulled out his wallet and took out a fifty dollar bill. "Go home. Here's money for a cab." He thrust the bill in my face.

"But that's too much." I lived fairly close so the cab fee would only be like ten dollars.

"Whatever, just take it."

I shrugged, wanting to get back home. And who cared if I took his money. The guy was loaded. Besides, after a night like this, I deserved as much.

I grabbed the money and my purse from the desk—I'm surprised that the man hadn't seen it—and was about to leave when Chance called my name.

"What?" I asked irritated now.

He narrowed his eyes at my snappy tone but let it go.

"Don't tell anyone about what happened tonight. It's best if we keep it our little secret."

I rolled my eyes, but nodded. Still in shock, I was beyond caring about anything right now. I just wanted to got to bed and forget everything that had happened today.

~

As I was laying in bed that night, I couldn't help but think of why that tone file was so important. Sure there was a receipt for millions of dollars, but in Chance's world I bet that was nothing to him.

Shaking my head, I turned my light off and was in the process of falling asleep, but was stopped by my vibrating phone. Rubbing my eyes, I grabbed it off my nightstand and opened it. Yes, I still had a crappy flip phone.

Can you meet me at Starbucks tomorrow morning? We need to talk about what happened tonight.

I quickly texted back.

Is this Chance?

How the hell did he get my number and why was he texting me at this ungodly hour?

Who else would it be? The reply was instant.

How did you get my number?

This time, he didn't reply for a couple of minutes. By then, I had almost dozed off, but became wide awake upon hearing my phone vibrate again.

I have my ways. But, that's not important. Will you meet me for coffee or what?

I weighed my options. Should I go get a hot drink with an egotistical, bipolar jerk, not to mention secretive as hell?

Or, should I go be a slave to demanding executives back at Burke Industries?

Both options weren't so appealing, but I'd rather wait on workers than put myself in danger by talking to Chance Burke.

Sorry, I'm busy.

After I replied, I turned off my phone, not wanting to be bothered by Chance Burke again.

My first day at Burke Industries had been hell. I better get some sleep because there was no telling what tomorrow would bring.

*******************************

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Please make sure to vote and comment. I love hearing from you guys about what you think of my writing!

-Katherine