Imagine for... (5SOS)

Start from the beginning

We are walking around the mall when I don't see Kristen any more. I look back behind me and I see her looking really pale and clammy with her hands holding her head like she's dizzy. "Kristen? Baby, are you okay?" I ask and I see her start to sway. I run over and bring her to a chair and have her sit. She's still looking dizzy and soon she collapses in my arms. "Kristen? Wake up baby", I say and try to get her to wake up. Nothing's working, so I lift her in my arms and my wife and I take her to my clinic.

 We get there and I see, my co-worker and friend Ashton at the front desk. "Hey Ash, can you give me a hand here?" Ashton sees Kristen in my arms and grabs a gurney for me to lay her on. We then roll her back to one of the rooms and start taking her vitals. "BP is really low, as well as oxygen levels. Pulse is weak and throbbing", Ashton says. I take her blood sugar levels and see that it's extremely low too and way past danger zone. I give her a shot of glucose to try to get her sugar levels up and lift back her eyelids to check her eyes. They are bloodshot and don't dilate correctly. I then open her mouth and see that her throat is red and her teeth look like they are decaying.

That's when I finally figure out what's been happening. All the moodiness, and the pale, dry skin, and the seeming to lose weight and everything. My daughter has bulimia. "Ash, treat her for bulimia. Give her a shot of Fluoxetine and an IV of fluids. She's probably really dehydrated and we don't want her to throw up". He does as I say, while I get her hooked up to a heartrate monitor and a pulse oximeter so we can monitor her vitals.

Once the IV and medicine are in, I see her start to wake up. I take her hand and she opens her eyes. "What happened?" she asks, looking scared. "It's okay baby, you're okay. You fainted at the mall from severe malnutrition and dehydration. We got you set up on some drugs that'll help make you better. I know that you've been throwing up your food and that you have bulimia. When we brought you in, you're vitals were extremely low and I was so scared that you were going to die on me. Why didn't you tell your mom or me that you were feeling that way? We could have helped you or gotten you the support that you needed. I love you, your mother and I both love you, and we don't want to see anything happen to you", I tell her and start to cry myself. I gently pull her into a hug and for the first time in a long time, she reciprocates the hug. "I love you guys too. I just feel so much pressure from you and mom to be perfect. I mean, you are so successful in everything you do and mom is so beautiful and perfect. It just makes me feel like I'm worthless and that I will never be able to reach your level of success", she tells me and I pull her closer to me. "Baby, you are your own person, and we are so proud of the woman you're becoming. You are strong and beautiful and smart, and kind, and a whole lot of other things that make you you. You can be whatever you want to be. You don't have to be like us, and I can assure you that your mother and I aren't perfect ourselves. We make mistakes and that's just part of being human. I'm so sorry that we made you feel like that and that you felt like you couldn't come to us and tell us how you were feeling. From now on though, please come to us for anything. We love you and will support you no matter what it is", I say. She puts her head on my chest and falls asleep.

I lay her down on the bed and I go out to see my wife, Kristen's mother, and let her know what happened. "OMG! Is she all right? What happened? My poor little baby! I didn't know what to do or how to act..." she says panicking and getting overwhelmed. I calm her down and tell her what all happened and what Kristen was feeling. "Oh, I feel horrible that we were the reason why she did this. If only we noticed sooner, we could have stopped this from happening and helped her, I just don't know how to help her." "I know babe, but now we have to support our daughter and give her the love that she needs. I'm going to ask Luke if he wouldn't mind if Kristen would come in once a week to just talk and get her feelings out, since he's a psychologist, and I'll ask Calum to help make her a healthy food plan, since he's a nutritionist", I tell her and give her a hug and peck on the lips. We then go back to see Kristen and both of us hold her hand and support her.

A few months later, after counseling with Luke, and Calum helping her with her food choices and teaching her how to eat the right way, Kristen is getting a lot better. She's on a few antidepressants to help her mentally, but I see her smiling and being happy again. There's a few new rules around the house though, like no going to the bathroom until at least an hour after dinner or with someone outside the door, and she has to eat what's on her plate before she can leave the dinner table. We now also try to keep an open forum discussion with her, where she can talk to us about anything and we try to help her through it. We don't put as much pressure to be perfect anymore and because of that, she's doing better than ever.

Hi guys! I just wanted to say that if you really are struggling with an eating disorder, or any other disorder, to keep fighting through it. There are many organizations that can help you as well as if any of y'all want to or need to talk, I always have an open ear and I don't judge. Also, if you know of anyone going through an eating disorder, try to be there for them the best you can be and just give them the support that they'll need. Sometimes, that's all someone really needs, is someone that they can talk to about this and find comfort from.

Hope y'all liked it and hope y'all have a phenomenal day! :)