Chapter 13: Goldenrod City

Dakota and Kelsey had been walking towards the next city, which was Goldenrod City. There, Dakota will challenge the Gym Leader Whitney. Quilava was walking between Dakota and Kelsey with Fennekin on his back. Fennekin was still resting. They had finally entered the city and they stared at everything around them with awe; mostly Dakota. He hadn't seen a city in forever. However, for Kelsey, she seen a lot bigger cities back in Kalos.

"So where's the gym?" Kelsey asked.

"Up ahead, to the right," he replied. They raced to the gym and stopped in front of it. Fennekin hopped off of Quilava and jumped into Kelsey's arms. She stroked Fennekin's ears and the fire fox Pokemon yawned. Quilava's back flared with small flames meaning he was ready.

"Are you ready?" Kelsey asked. "I heard she's tough when she has her Miltank in the field."

"Oh I'm ready," he said. "I have confidence!"

They entered and looked around. A door in the back opened and a pink haired girl came running out.

"Welcome challengers!" she exclaimed. "I am Goldenrod City's Gym Leader Whitney. So, who will challenge-" she paused when Dakota stepped forward. She blushed and ran up to him. "Oh well I see you're the one who will challenge me. You're handsome aren't you?"

Dakota looked at her with wide eyes. "Thanks I guess."

Whitney looked behind Dakota and noticed Kelsey holding Fennekin. "And who is this girl with you? Your girlfriend?"

Both companions blushed as they looked at each other. Kelsey was the first to say something, "No! I just met him! He's my new friend!" Kelsey exclaimed still blushing.

"Then why are you blushing?" Whitney chuckled.

"I'm not!" Kelsey said.

Dakota had to break the fight up somehow, "I'm ready to have a battle."

"Ah yes, let's do this!" the pink haired Gym Leader shouted.

Moments later, they were several meters across from each other, prepared for battle. The Gym Leader sent out Clefairy and Dakota sent out Pidgey. The match begun.

"Pidgey, use Quick Attack!" Dakota commanded. The bird Pokemon flapped its wings and quickly swooped over to Clefairy and used its claws to make contact. Pidgey flew back to Dakota and awaited its next move.

"Clefairy, use Double Slap!" Whitney commanded her fairy Pokemon. Clefairy ran towards Pidgey with its hand held up, but Pidgey dogged it easily.

"Now use Quick Attack again!" Dakota commanded. Pidgey flew quickly to Clefairy and attacked with its claws. The Clefairy fainted.

"Clefairy, return," Whitney said. "Now, come on out Miltank!" She threw her pokeball and out came a Miltank.

"Alright, Pidgey, return," the bird Pokemon returned to its pokeball. "Quilava, you're in." His partner walked from next to him to the field. "Use Flame Wheel!" Quilava had fire coming out of his head and back and dashed towards Miltank. A ring of fire launched out and made contact on Miltank.

"Miltank, use Stomp!" Whitney commanded. Miltank jumped and stomped on Quilava. Quilava staggered on his feet.

"Quilava, use Quick Attack!" Dakota commanded, but Quilava didn't move. The Pokemon stood staggering with fire burning on his head and back. Dakota was confused on what happened.

Kelsey knew right away, "He flinched!"

Dakota's eyes widened and realized she was right. Whitney went ahead with her move, which was Stomp again. Miltank jumped again and landed on Quilava. The Volcano Pokemon staggered again to stand.

Whitney laughed, "Well, well. It seems everything is about to take a turn for the worse for you!"

Kelsey held onto Fennekin and whispered, "You can do it, Dakota."

Dakota strategized on how he could defeat Miltank. Only one strategy came to mind...