Message 1: Doofus- it’s Colby. Call me back.

Message 2: Doofus- figure out a costume, you’re going to the Fall Ball even if I have to drag your ass there myself.

Nate stared down at the messages and just took a moment to try and figure out a few things. Like hoe Colby got his cell phone number, why he would be texting Nate and why the blazes he’d be telling Nate to get ready for the Fall Ball.

So of course Nate had to reply. Jerkwad- as much as I appreciate how hypnotizing my charm can be, you’re not my type.

Then Nate had to fight his instinct to text Grace to tell her about her date’s odd behaviour. It was so easy to fall back into old habits, like insulting Colby and talking to Grace like nothing had happened, and yet neither of those were really options anymore. Well, insulting Colby was still allowed, but he had to wait on Grace to establish what kind of relationship they’d have now, if they had one at all.

His phone buzzed in his hand and Nate grinned. Moron. You’re about as appealing as gangrene. Shut up and do what I say, you owe me for not calling the cops on your drunk ass. Get a costume, and be ready for the Ball. I’ll tell you more later. Colby texted back.

Nate laughed a little, enjoying the analogy and the attitude. But his humour died off as he remembered that Colby and Grace were going as a couple to the Ball. Despite both of them claiming that there wasn’t a real relationship going on there, they hadn’t changed that plan at all. Was he strong enough to watch her dance with another man all night long, especially after coming clean with her? Not even a little, but would he do it anyways? Most likely, because the hopeful little idiot inside wanted to go and see her, even from a distance. And he could use the same excuse Colby did, that he owed the man and was there just to fulfill that obligation. Though that raised its own problem, because that was the night that Ophelia planned on chasing Sandman to the land beyond. And he had already promised to be there.

With a distinctly less happy heart, Nate texted back: I’ve already promised Ophelia I’d help her with something that night.

For just a moment Nate felt old. He was twenty, there was absolutely no way he should feel so weighted down or bowed over, and yet he did. His chest crushed in, tight and squeezing his heart until his body screamed for breath and spots danced in front of his eyes. His shoulders were curved and his back stooped as he allowed himself just a moment to focus on what his life was like just now. His best friend likely about to tell him to go jump off a cliff, his dear friend dying of cancer or going to commit suicide in less than a week and after that, everyone would look at him and know he could have done something different to change it all. It would be his fault and then he would be alone…Enough. Nate stopped his self pity and stuffed it all away into a box inside his head. He’d heard his father describe the coldness that was Reaper often enough to try and emulate that now. Only instead of a psychopathic indifference, Nate donned the mask of jovial carelessness. He would do what he had to do, because events were already in motion and there was no point to wishing he could change the past. It was time to stop wallowing.

His phone buzzed and this time Nate looked down at it without hope or trepidation. Come in costume. Ophelia is already picking hers up.

And then the world decided that he needed a kick to the groin anyways. He would have to go, if for no other reason than to see Ophelia’s last night enjoying life. She would be dancing and having fun and everyone around her would be oblivious to the darkness that would descend the next day when they learned the truth. That this last night was a lie, a fantasy put on to keep anyone else from guessing the truth of what she was going to do next. But Nate would know and he was going to have to endure it all and lie for her, letting no one else even suspect that while they all celebrate, his heart will be breaking and Ophelia would be saying goodbye.

For a moment Nate felt anger burn in his chest, chasing away the haunting weight of sorrow and self recrimination. He was just so angry at Ophelia for doing this, for putting him in this position and demanding this kind of treachery from him. It was turning him into something he had never wanted to be, cold and bitter and angry. But the anger washed out of him because the next thought he has was that Ophelia never wanted him to know. He was supposed to be as taken in by her lie as everyone else was.  She didn’t want to be dying, despite her almost manic race to end it all.

“I can’t do this…”Nate said out loud in the empty photography lab. It was the late evening hours and all the other students were gone so he had no reservations about slumping to the ground for a moment, not ashamed of the few tears he allowed himself. He sat there, forcing himself to put away the emotions once again. He’d already decided to do what needed to be done. Fair or not that was his burden to handle and he would not let Ophelia down. He’d already lost Grace because of his weakness.  He would do this last thing and then maybe he’d just leave town. Go somewhere by himself and start all over again.