Chapter II

I remember the conversation, the moment it happened I knew I would never forget it. I knew I had to do anything I could to keep her alive. I approached the Dark Lord as he sat in his den. I knocked at the door, my fist quivering.

     "Enter" I heard from the other side of the door. I obeyed. He smoothly turned around to face me, with dark eyes staring out from snake like slits.

     "Severus, what brings you here this evening," he questioned with a smirk on his face.

     "My Lord, it is in regards to the Potters, my lord." I said, keeping my nerves completely undetected.

     "Yes," he replied seeming both annoyed and interested.

     "My Lord it has been brought to my intention that you plan on killing the Potters, is this true my lord?" I asked.

     "Yes, you are aware of why I must Severus,"

     "I do, my lord, but have you considered keeping the girl alive?" I smoothly suggested.

     "Severus, why on Earth would I do such a thing, and let that mudblood whore get herself knocked up again to destroy me!?" he hissed. Those words stung, my heart started beating faster as I grew anxious."

     "My lord, I don't mean to question your decisions, and it is not my intention to persuade you, the thought had just crossed my mind, what if this second child was on your side?" I could see something in his eyes. He was thinking. A slight smirk grew on his face.

     "Go on," he pushed.

     "My Lord, I had just thought that if the girl were to be kept alive to have this second child, you could take it, raise it, shape it. If it had the kind of power that the prophecy speaks, with him my lord, you could be unstoppable."

     "Thank you Severus, you may go." he dismissed me. Unaware if I had altered his plan, I left.

     I was so blinded by love that not once did I consider the magnitude of what I had suggested. I did not even consider how terrible it were to be if Voldemort had that kind of power, or what would become of the child. I even failed to consider what Lily would have to go through to conceive such a child. After this thought I immediately felt nauseous. What have I done?

     She was separated in a little cell with bars, holding on to them, as if to break free. I came up close to them and spoke quietly to her, hoping to be close enough to smell her once more. "Sev where is Harry?" she pleaded through tears. I couldn't stand to look at her like this. Her usually tidy iridescent hair was chaotic and dull. Her face was red and glistening with tears. I gestured at her for silence, as I couldn't have the Dark Lord knowing I had come to the cellar to see her.

     "He survived, he is being taken care of," I spoke faintly. She weeped with relief.

     "Lily, are you awar-" she cut me off.

     "I know what he plans to do with me Sev," she sucked back more tears. I closed my eyes trying to get the thought out of my mind. she stated bravely. She was the greatest woman I had ever known. She didn't have a selfish bone in her body. Here is a woman about to be violated by the most monstrous of men and still put everyone else's concern before her own. I quickly grabbed her hand. She looked into my eyes with her beautiful green eyes that had haunted me each day since the first time I looked into them.

     "I'm so sorry Lily, for back then and for all of this" a tear fell down my check, I could tell she noticed.

     "You are the strongest person I have ever met. Your children will know how their mother was the most fearless, clever and virtuous witch the world has ever seen." I choked through my pain for her.

     She put her lips to the hand I had held hers with.

     "Thank you Severus. Please protect them."

     "Always" I told her. I quickly apparated after meeting her gaze once more.

     I had been instructed to brew one of the darkest potions ever known by Merlin. This was much darker than anything I had ever created, it called for many obscure ingredients, I knew what I was making after he brought me one of the final ingredients, unicorn blood. As I poured in the silver, thick blood the potion turned completely white, as pale as fallen snow. The dark lord glanced over my shoulder.

     It's time. he said.

     "Bring that filthy mudblood in here," he demanded.