I Wish I Was

Andi's POV

October 12, 3000

AN ANNOYING beeping sound rung in my ears and the smell of artificial flowers filled my nostrils, waking me up from a deep slumber. My vision was blurry and my eyes found time adjusting to the bright lights on the ceiling. I stared at them, trying to make my brain work, attempting to remember anything. I got nothing.

"Andi?"

I heard it. I caught the sound of the faint calling of my name. I recognized the yearning in the voice.

With a figure suddenly in front of my face, my eyes involuntarily widened and I had to blink several times to recover. My tired eyes opened again, this time with a glint of recognition in them. My numb limbs started to feel again and memories started to form inside my head like puzzle pieces. I opened my mouth to utter words, but all I was able to do was groan because of my sore throat.

"Water. Wait a second. Here, drink."

A cold object was pressed against my chapped lips and I gulped the liquid in my mouth, feeling a little bit more refreshed. My eyes locked with a pair of hazel ones and through them I saw vignettes of the past, of my family, of my identity, and of Luke.

I sat up with the help of Ace, whom I now fully recognizes. "Where's Luke?" I uttered with a raspy voice.

Ace's brow rose. "My lovely sister, I have been waiting for you to wake up for three days, and now that you're awake, the first person you look for is Luke? I can't believe you. I'm so hurt," he said, pretending to cry even though I already saw his smile.

I reached to give his shoulder a light punch and chuckled. My throat still hurt and my whole body was in pain. I grew serious despite my condition. "I was in coma for three days?"

"Yes," he replied while detaching the dextrose on my hand. He then proceeded to turn off the machine beside us. "I told them these things aren't already needed," he said as he gestured to the wires and machines inside the room. "Because I knew you're going to wake up soon. But they keep on insisting. They're so annoying – our parents and their colleagues; all they seem to do was talk and study about science and all their crazy inventions."

I could tell that he was fussed. It was so evident how homesick he was. This may be his real home, but this was not the world he grew up in. "I – I'm sorry," I told him. I inhaled deeply, my whole body trembling. "Maybe I shouldn't have convinced you to come here with me. This is my entire fault. I'm so sorry if you're not happy here." I started to hyperventilate as pain coursed through my veins.

Alarmed, Ace clutched my hands and did not let go of them as he called for the doctors through the small radio on the wall. "Andi is awake. Please go here right away. Please." He was breathless as he spoke and he was shaking as well.

The doctors and nurses were quick enough to rush into the room with medical kits and syringes in their hands. I was instantly separated from my brother.

"What is that for? Will she be okay?"

My body felt numb and my eyelids felt heavy, but I was sure that was my dad.

"This should calm her down and help her breathe; don't worry."

I felt like I was pulled out of water and was being thrown into air; suffocation left my chest and calmness replaced the pain in my veins. I stared ahead and stayed still when two strong and longing arms engulfed me and pull me into safety. My mother's voice was like a sweet lullaby comforting my nerves despite her soft cries and sobs.

"Andi, dear, where have you been? Don't you dare leave us again," my mother whispered in my ear. There were sternness and authority in her voice, but it was full of concern and fear as well. I nodded my head and patted her back, and we let go.

It was silent for a moment. I smiled at the sight before me: mom and dad were holding each other while Ace stood beside them. We were finally complete after a long time.

Ace was the one to break the silence. "May I talk to Andi alone?"

"I suppose," my dad said. "Call us when something happens," he reminded him as they head outside.

"You scared me," Ace exclaimed as soon as he heard the click on the door and he lunged himself towards me.

Still weak, I chuckled quietly as I wrapped my arms around Ace.

"I missed you, sis," he mumbled against the crook of my neck and he hugged me tighter.

I smiled. I missed him, too. I missed this future world and its insanity, but I also missed the present days. I missed my family and friends, yes, but my heart also longed for Luke.

"Luke," I mumbled, and pictures of him and his eyes – oh, those beautiful eyes – started to flash in my mind.

Ace loosened his embrace and shook his head, looking disappointed all of a sudden. "That's already strike two, Andi," he demanded jokingly, but the smirk on his face vanished when he looked at me. "Do you remember what happened?"

I closed my eyes and nodded. "Yes. I told him to go back."

"And?"

"I told him that we'll never meet again."

My eyes opened again and I looked at my brother with pure sadness and regret.

He sighed and played with my fingers. "You did the right thing."

I did not break eye contact when I asked, "Did I really?"

"You did," he replied with conviction. "You know it. The probability of you and Luke having a stable relationship, no matter how in love you are with each other, is too low. We both know – Luke knows – that it's impossible."

Of course we don't stand a chance. I only nodded and spoke no more.

Ace stood up and stared at me. I was torn. I wondered if he could see it. He sighed. "You will eventually move on. The pain will cease. Your heart will beat for someone else. I can find you a boyfriend online, if you want," he said and snickered.

My eyes widened in shock. "Ace, I'm still recovering! And I don't plan to have a boyfriend anytime soon. I hate you."

He chuckled and ruffled my hair. "Whatever you say. I'll leave you for now; have some rest." He bade me goodbye and planted a kiss on my temple before leaving.

Once alone, I sat up and looked around the room. I missed this setting. I took in the strange familiarity of it all. My gaze landed on the piece of paper and the pen on the bedside table that were left by the medics a while ago. I smiled to myself.

Never mind the centuries between us. One way or another, I am going to find a way to reach him again. I tightened my grip on the pen, and with optimism, I started to write:

Dear Luke,