Gotta Get Out

THE BLUR of green trees lining up the road and the strong wind slapping my face give me the same feeling I get when time travelling. The only difference was this time, I was neither the slightest bit nervous nor scared; the mere presence of the girl beside me was calming enough. I do not trust strangers right away, but Andi somehow managed to get inside my bubble, and that made me think why I let her in in the first place. Was it just my plain curiosity or was there something more about this girl that drew me to her?

The continuous calling of my name brought me back to reality. "Huh," I mumbled in confusion.

"I said I think we reached the city."

I stared at Andi, still processing what she had just said. I probably looked like a lost boy - maybe because I actually was one - watching the lofty buildings unfold right in front of me.

Andi continued to drive and take turns, stopping only when we reached the 27th avenue (as the sign read). We unbuckled our seat belts and I immediately stretched my limbs once I got out of the car. It had been a long trip.

We walked in awe, gazes roaming around the place, and passed a group of teenage girls hanging out by the fountain. I stood silently beside Andi as I studied her.

"What's so funny?" She was covering her mouth again and her shoulders were shaking.

"Nothing," she replied, smiling at me. "I'll go buy some food; you stay here."

I nodded absentmindedly, staring at my reflection in the water. I looked like I had just woken up from hibernation due to bags under my eyes.

I snapped back to reality when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, expecting to see Andi, but I was faced with a really short girl. What happened to Andi?

"Hi," I greeted, but it came out in a questioning way.

The girl giggled. "You're so handsome," she gushed, batting her eyelashes.

I suppressed a grimace and looked away. The girl looked fifteen - perhaps younger than that.

"Hi, honey."

I looked up at the sound of the new voice. It was Andi, and she was grinning from ear to ear. The sight was rather surprising, but I was even more surprised when I felt her arms embracing me.

"Wha - "

"Just go with the flow," Andi whispers before I could utter a word, and I could not think straight because I could feel her breath on the nape of my neck.

The short girl opened and closed her mouth repeatedly. "You're - I," she stuttered before walking away from us.

When she was out of sight, Andi started cackling. She breathed in a mouthful of air, still laughing. "That was so ridiculous. How old do you think she is?"

I shrugged. "I'm guessing around fifteen." Realizing that, I, too, cracked an amused smile.

She snorted in an ungraceful manner. "She looks ten to me."

I chuckled because it was somewhat true.

"So, lunch?" Andi offered, giving me my share of food.

We ate while we wandered around, laughing and making fun of some people that we happened to pass by.

After that, we decided to go inside a clothing store and changed our outfits at the nearest bathroom we could find. It seemed that Andi finished changing first because I saw her pondering when I went out.

"Finally," she said when I reached her, clasping her hands so gracefully. She noticed the red flannel on my shoulder. "You aren't leaving that?" She pointed to the thing.

"I kind of like it," I replied sheepishly, tugging on the flannel.

She nodded. "May I borrow it, then?"

"Sure," I said and handed it to her.

She gladly took it and I watched her wrap it around her waist. I could not help but think that she looked so good in her outfit - casual and simple, but still very beautiful. I looked away, trying to focus on anything except the girl in front of me.

"Come on, let's wander around." She grasped my wrist, but we were pulled apart instantly when someone ran into us.

"Sorry," said the stranger whose face was suspiciously hidden by the hood of his jacket.

Andi gave the person a nod, and he started to walk away without another word.

"Hey!" She yelled, causing other people to look at her. "Thief!"

We were running on reflex, chasing after the bad guy. "Someone help!" I called out in despair, but no one dared to stop him. I cursed under my breath.

All of a sudden there was a scream among the crowd, and the thief's body was on the ground, a young man holding him back from running away. I ran faster, untroubled by the ache on my ankles. I was breathless when we reached them.

I looked at Andi. "Were you hurt?"

"No," she said, her voice trembling. She was clutching something against her chest.

I turned to the young man who helped us. "Thanks, man," I said, grateful that he had not been indifferent like the other people surrounding us.

Andi stood up and I immediately helped her to walk. She was shaking.

"Sophia?"

I looked at the young man and then back to Andi. She looked shocked.

"Excuse me, do you know her?" I asked the young man, completely lost. I had no idea what was happening.

"No way," Andi whispers beside me just before her eyes closed and her body collapsed on my arms.