Love at First Letter - 33

Start from the beginning

I didn't get a chance to talk to his parents as the doctor led them down the hall and out of sight. I didn't take that as a good sign, but then Brittany and Brandy walked over to me and took a seat opposite me. "Did you hear what the doctor said?"

Brittany nodded, "He was shot in the back. During the first surgery he lost a lot of blood but the bullet, thankfully, didn't hit the spine. They was some nerve damage but they're positive that with some physical therapy he'll be able to walk again. Then he got a blood clot and they rushed him back into surgery. He's still out from the anesthesia but he should be awake in a few hours."

"But he's going to be alright." I ask her.

She doesn't answer my question instead she says, "You love my brother and he loves you. I don't know what he's going to be like when he wakes up. He could be angry and say some things he doesn't mean."

"What are you trying to say?"

"What she's trying to say," Brandy cuts in. "is that she doesn't want you and our brother to break up just because he might be angry. They don't think he'll be able to walk right away and he might be stuck in a wheel chair for a month, maybe even longer. If he works hard he might be walking sooner but it all depends on him."

"You shouldn't worry about Brett and I breaking up. I'm going to be there for him all the way through this, no matter what he says."

"Good."

It took Brett two hours to wake up from the anesthesia. I was sitting in a chair with a book in my hand when the heart monitor starts beating quicker. I look up from the book to see Brett trying to sit up. Although with the lack of movement in his legs it turns out to be quite difficult. I rush to his side and help him though he doesn't say anything.

He looks around the room, noticing where he is and then settles his gaze back on me. "What happened?"

"You were shot during training."

I go and bring a chair up to the side of his bed but Brett's hand on my forearm stops me. "Come sit up here with me." He pats to the spot on the bed next to him but I shake my head. "Please, I just need you next to me."

"I don't want to hurt you." I tell him.

"You aren't going to hurt me." He assures me and gives the spot next to him another pat. When he sees the reluctant look on my face he sighs and tells me, "I promise you that you aren't going to hurt me. I just want to be close to my girlfriend, is that too much to ask?"

"No it's not." I take a seat next to Brett on the bed and make sure to sit just a few inches from touching his body so I didn't hurt him. His arm wraps around my waist and brings me into his side.

"I'm on so much medication right now, I don't hurt at all." He kisses the side of my head and I read my head on his chest. "Where's my family?" He asks me.

"They went out to get some lunch, we didn't know when you were going to wake up. I told them I would stay there and they're bringing me back some food." I tell him. "I'm just glad you're finally awake."

"So what's the damage?" He asks me, his breathe fanning out across my face as he places another kiss on the side of my head. "I really missed you."

"I really missed you too." I tell him. I turn in Brett's arms and kiss his lips. It isn't a long kiss but it's enough for right now. "I think you should wait for the doctor to tell you everything." Brett brings me in for one more kiss before tucking me in his arm and bringing me close.

"I want to hear it from you," As soon as he said that the door opened and the doctor walked in.

"Glad to see you awake Mr. Tinsley, your wife here hasn't left the room since you've been allowed visitors. You've got yourself a keeper there." Brett sends me a weird look when the word wife registers and a smirk plays at his lip.