Chapter 27

"Back to school?" He asked.

"Yeah, I think it's time. He wouldn't want us just sulking around, he would want us to try and recover. Move on."

"But I don't want to move on." I bit my lip before standing on my tip toes and leaning in to kiss him. It felt amazing to have something reassuring in this mess where I was never guaranteed anything. It was like we were the only thing that mattered in that moment, and I took this chance to relax with him. I rested my head on his shoulder as he rubbed my back.

I had just closed my eyes when I heard Allison behind us.

"Lydia!" Before I could lift my head up, Stiles was on the ground unconscious. I staggered backward, seeing that Jackson was standing a few feet in front of me with a crow bar in his hand. Allison and her father ran up behind me, and I had no idea where Derek and Isaac had gone. Jackson was standing over Stiles' body and I was trying to fight Allison to get to him.

"What the hell are you doing here, Jackson?"

"I'm trying to teach you a lesson, but every time I attempt Stilinski gets in the way. Seems you always have a posse following and protecting you."

"Leave them alone." Allison said.

"Oh, sure Allison. They are really all you have left since Scott's dead."

"Stop it." Allison muttered through gritted teeth.

"Jackson, you're a monster. You need to leave us alone, and I don't know what the point of following me around is. We are done."

"We need to talk Lydia. Alone." I nodded my head and looked at Allison, who didn't approve.

"I get to bring Stiles with me though." I argued.

"Fine."

"Allison, it's fine. He won't hurt me." She still looked nervous, and I couldn't blame her. I was too. I had Allison help me lift Stiles into the back seat of the Jeep now that someone, probably Derek, had turned it back over. I drove to Jackson's house, and the trip over was silent. I really didn't want to talk to him.

I parked in his driveway, carrying Stiles inside with me. I sat him down inside and turned around to shut the door when Jackson hit me in the head with the crow bar.

-•-

"Lydia! Get up!"

When I woke up, I was tied against one of Jackson's basement walls, Stiles at my side. We weren't tied together, but only about a foot or two apart.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I think you probably know more than me. Where the hell are we?"

"Jackson's basement. I'm so stupid, I don't know why I even agreed to come here in the first place."

"Wait you came here, and how did I get here? How do you know this is his basement??"
I raised an eyebrow, wondering how he couldn't figure this out. "Ohh."

"I don't know, he knocked you out and I came and then he knocked me out. So stupid, why did I even bring you with me?"

"I'm glad you did, because otherwise we would have had no idea where you were." The door to the basement opened, and Stiles grabbed me. I realized he had freed one hand from the ropes.

"Jackson," I began.

"No. I need to know, Lydia."

"Know what?" Stiles challenged.

"How long?"

"What?"

"How long have you two been together?" I looked over at Stiles, surprised this was the reason we were chained up in a basement.

"I mean," He started.

"Ok how long have you been having sex?"

"We haven't!" I yelled. "Why would you think, why would you...." Then I remembered. I had been so confused while Jackson still thought we were together this whole time, and I thought about the night Stiles and I went on the double date. Jackson was in Canada. And I hadn't broken up with him.

"I, I, Jackson......" I took a deep breath as he walked up to me.

"Admit it Lydia. Just tell him." Stiles reached into my ropes, finding my hand and holding it tight.

"There's nothing to say, Jackson. I don't know what you want me to do, because it's over."

"And it's because of him, isn't it. I guess the way you broke up with me was when I walked in on you two."

"You never broke up with him?"

"No, I mean, I thought I did but I don't know."

"Lydia, the day before I left you told me you loved me. And 5 days later I walk in to see you with him. How do you think I felt?" I was starting to cry, I was so overwhelmed. I always thought that I had broken it with him. How could I have said I loved him only a few months ago? I now knew what real love was, and what we had was not it.

"Do you still love him?" Stiles asked. I bit my lip and shook my head no, looking him straight in the eyes.

"No. I'm sorry Jackson. Now please just let us go."

"Did you ever really love me?" He yelled, now only inches from my face. I saw his eyes change color, his skin turning green.

"I don't think he has control over his shift." Stiles claimed.

"Jackson, listen to me." He was now so close to me that our noses touched. I squeezed Stiles hand, and he began jerking and trying to escape the ropes. Jackson slowly transformed, finishing when I saw his tail grow out behind him. He opened his mouth so I could see his several rows of pointy fangs, and I wasn't sure whether the Jackson I knew was still in there. He wouldn't hurt me, but this thing might.

By the time the transformation was complete, Stiles had freed himself of the ropes. He was about to lunge at Jackson when I squeezed his hand, signaling not to make any sudden movements. He slowly scooted beside me, and I wasn't sure why the Kanima wasn't doing anything.

"What is he-" Stiles started to whisper, but when the Kanima heard us, he reacted. He stuck his claws into the back of my neck and I gasped for air.

"LYDIA!"

My eyes shot open, and it was like all the sounds around me were in the background. Stiles was beside me, screaming my name. I could feel him untying my ropes. My mind felt empty, like I was watching everything from the outside. When the Kanima finally pulled his claws out, I took deep breaths and tried to focus on what was happening. Jackson had went inside my head. Stiles pulled me into him, and I saw that Jackson had shifted back. I was crying, and I felt weak. Stiles glowed his eyes at him as a warning and stood up, dragging me with him.

Jackson was sitting on the floor of his basement, but didn't say anything as we walked towards the stairs. What had he been trying to do?

"Lydia." I turned around to see him standing across the room. "You didn't have to lie to me. And I know you have your heart set somewhere else, but it hurts. I thought that you, that we.."
He looked down at his feet, and I almost felt bad for him. I thought that I had lived him, but I didn't. I was just telling myself that because he was all I had.

"We were. But not anymore. I'm, I'm sorry Jackson. Just, please leave us alone. We've been through enough." I grabbed Stiles' hand and began running up the stairs. I shut the door when we reached the top, and told Stiles I would be right back.

"Wait where are you going?"

"I need to get something, give me 2 minutes."
I ran up the stairs to the second story and into Jackson's room. I sweeped the room, opening every cabinet I saw. When I checked the drawer next to his bed, I found it. My key. I pulled another key out of my pocket, placing both side by side in my hand. I switched the positions of the keys, and it was the last step to letting go. I shut the drawer and ran back down the stairs, grabbing Stiles and leading the way out.