Chapter 11

Caroline
But the other wall never came. Instead, all the power shut down. Everything cast into the ultimate darkness. Hiccups escaped from Caroline's mouth as she tried to control her breathing. The pain from her thigh seared into her being, as she yanked herself away from the wall. Blood rushed from her wound as if it were being chased. She stumbled, then fell into the dark abyss until she hit something hard. Judging by the position she was in two seconds ago, she took the assumption that she had landed on the cold hard floor.

The chains heaved her weight so she had no energy left even to shift herself, much less yell for help. Tears leaped from her eyes, scurrying down to the dark abyss. Thoughts raced through her head but she couldn't make sense of any of them. The lack of helplessness brought her to the mere edge of sanity as she lay about, hoping that she would release so much blood that she would, just with the slightest hope, end up somewhere near to her mom. But those were dreams as she started coming up with thoughts of what might have happened those past few moments. Her ideas were 1) this was just part of the torture 2) that the electricity had died down, or 3) it was a bit of both. She sure hoped it wasn't 1 or 3, for they weren't the best for her situation.

Yes there was the pain that completely had taken over a few moments ago, but that had now subdued into numbness. Also for the fact that everything was pitch black so she wouldn't have been able to examine her wounds if she had gotten the slightest nerve to shift herself from where she was at the moment. So here she lay about, wondering whether the next cement block would slide and end what she had lived with from the start. But nothing happened.

She didn't really have a good estimate of time but it felt long. Long enough to be well over an hour. Also the lack of eyesight didn't help the situation in anyway. The more she stayed still, the more she felt exposed as though in any moment, they would continue the torture. Continue what she had dreaded for as long as she lived. This cage meant death. Or it was just that she had never seen the people who came out of this place, but then again, here they had no mercy. So as anyone would assume, it was the first one of the two options. And that was not a very good option.

But nothing moved over the course of a few more minutes...

Just as she started to relax, she heard screaming. Then gun shots.