Chapter 7

“WHY ARE YOU LATE? HOW COME I DIDN’T SEE YOU IN YOUR PLACE AT 3:00, HUH? IMMATURE PEOPLE! CAN’T EVEN! UGH!” yelled Mr. Vaughan.

   “I...I...um...I just...got...um...I…,” Caroline stuttered over her words. She hid her hand behind her back, afraid that he might find out. “I just tripped over myself and...well...got late.”

   “Fine. But you're going to go through the chopper and thats final,” he said with no sympathy for Caroline at all. He turned around, leaving her on the cold, hard floor of her tiny cell. She got back to her work, slowly weaving the small patterns as tears formed in her eyes. Her whole body shook with fear. It raced up and down her spine, spilling through her veins.

   I can’t go to the chopper. Not the chopper. No! They can’t send me through that. I will never go! I was only like about 1 minute late. What if they figured out?

Caroline tried slowing her breath but it wouldn’t work. Stories of the chopper filled her head and terror ate her brain. Her hands shook as she worked her way into the cloth. She couldn’t do this anymore. She couldn’t. Pain caved hard into her being. Terror rattled all her insides. Her stomach did flips. I have such a terrible life, She thought. I am a mistake. I don’t belong here. It was my mother who was strong, not me. This is no place for a girl like me. No place at all.

    Caroline worked faster on the cloth, trying to get her mind off the chopper that held her fate. Colors danced in her eyes as they teared up. She had no clue what her hands were doing but that was the least of her worries. The chopper was a huge stone cell where they put children like Caroline in for a punishment. The walls were made out of spikes and random parts of it would fly out giving only seconds to escape the area before the person was killed. For 5 hours, the person would struggle to survive without anything at all except for instinct and tactics. Yeah, its wonderful for a punishment. It truly is.