Chapter 10

"Is it going to hurt?" I asked timidly.

"For a minute, then it will go away. "

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"MOMMY!" I squealed out loudly in pain. "You said it wouldn't hurt!"

Lucas laughed at me and shook his head. "No, I said that it would hurt, and then it would go away. I never said it wouldn't hurt at all."

I rubbed my wrist. "You're a jerk."

"Somebody had to do it! You have to have one, if you don't then you mean nothing in this world. Jeez, don't you know anythin--OUCH! What did you do that for?" He snapped rubbing the back of his freshly smacked head.

"Hey, it wasn't pleasant for me either your hard head hurt my hand."

"That's what she said--OUCH! Quit doing that!" He yelled rubbing his head again. I ignored him as he cursed me out under his breath. I examined my newly marked skin.

"Their angel wings," I stated softly looking at the indent. I looked up at him. "What is this for?"

"So that you can prove your royal blood," a new voice chimed in from the doorway. My head snapped up in that direction. Isadora was standing there leaning up against the doorway. "Don't you see? The angel wings are indented in gold, while a peasants would be in white. Gold is for power, white is plain." She told me walking over and flipping my wrist over so I could see it as she pointed out the lines.

"Honey! That's so beautiful," my mother spoke up adoringly. Where did she come from? Jeez, I swear that women teleports. "I didn't know you were in to tattoos."

"Mom, I have a tattoo. Remember? And it's not a tattoo anyways." I told her tracing my fingers over the lines as everybody watched me carefully.

"Well then what is it?" Her tone was sarcastic and I could tell she was thinking that I was wrong and she was right, as usual.

"It's something that doesn't involve you, Mother--"

"Uh, that magic stuff again isn't it?" She asked distastefully. "Skyler, I don't know why you got yourself mixed in with all this. Your grandmother knew how to work this. . . hocus pocus and she never needed training! She never needed to be so involved, for you it's like a-an--infatuation. Yes, that's what it is an infatuation."

"That's because grandma was trained before you were born by her own mother. And you would have known this if you would have listened to her for once in your life instead of talking away about you, you, you." I was really mad now. "Mom, I've only been back for three days and already you are picking fights with me. I don't know what your problem is, but magic isn't 'hocus pocus' to me. It's really important. It's apart of me and if you can't except it then that means you aren't excepting me because I won't hide the real me from you. Not anymore."

Her eyes softened as she reached out for me. "Skyler, I didn't--"

"No, Ma, just-- I need a moment." I told her evasively and I turned on my heel and stormed out of the living room towards my bedroom, all but hyperventelating. I couldn't believe I had spoken to my own mom like that! My heart was racing like an execution drum and my stomach was having a gymnastics meet as it seemed to do flips inside of me.

 I nearly jumped three feet in the air when a knock was sounded lightly on my door. "Skyler, can I come in?"

"No." I stated simply and then shoved my face into my pillow.

"Please?"

"Lemme think about it. . .no."

"Are you decent?" He asked me.