She's Mine: Chapter 25

Start from the beginning

"Hmm," Eliza quietly grunted.

"Now are we done?"" Blackwell insisted, a heavy flush on her face.

"Yes. Yes, ma'am we are," Eliza nodded before immediately turning around and quietly exiting the uncomfortable space.

She hurried back to her office and sat down at her desk. The cursor of her mouse hovered over all of the open applications– hiding or closing what wasn't necessary for her next task. Her fingers froze above the keyboard while she stared at a blank email composition.

She carefully wrote the first line, but couldn't bear to finish. Eliza had to ask herself if she was making the right decision. She had to be grateful that she knew she wasn't alone anymore. If she didn't talk to someone now, she would lose her mind.

"Pete?" she sighed into her phone.

"Eliza? Is everything okay?" her brother quickly asked on the other line.

Without hesitation, Eliza broke down, "I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do. I was seconds away from writing up my two weeks, but then I just knew I should talk to someone about it before I did anything."

Pete panicked, "You want to quit your job? You've been working there for years! What happened?!"

"What happened is that I realized that I should have planned to leave this job ages ago."

"Okay, okay... you don't have to say anything else right now, but lets just think about what to do next," Peter replied with confidence.

His big sister took a deep breath and took comfort in being able to let someone else aid her in the thinking process. Pete talked her down from making any rash decisions, and she was feeling better until she took a glance at the notification on the computer that reminded her that she had to go to in a few minutes. Being inside of the Bluestar building felt like Hell on earth, especially knowing that she would not be able to concentrate whatsoever on the upcoming meeting.

That approaching hour would entail another financial update. An update that would include the watchful eyes of Troy, Blackwell, and Andrew. When she entered the boardroom, Eliza refused to raise her from the ground or the table. She was angry, but no one could tell but Troy.

The meeting was long, and shockingly dry even with Troy's charismatic updates.

"Anything to add, Kelly?" Blackwell included after Troy's final conclusion on the latest reports.

Eliza, slowly closed her leather folder, and looked across the room into a pair of cold blue eyes, "I don't believe there is anything further to investigate... Blackwell."

Ten seconds of silence echoed across the room, and the tension existed without effort. Eliza could see the twitch under Blackwell's right eye as could the rest of the dumbfounded spectators. Annoyed, Eliza glanced at her watch and stood up. At that moment, the meeting was silently adjourned.

Eliza trekked back to her office, but instinct told her to stop and turn around. There in the distance, she could see Troy being held up by bitter Blackwell at the open doorway. The distress emitting through his smile was obvious.

But Eliza's perception was suddenly interrupted. Cutting through the door was Andrew and his mischievous grin, and they were approaching Eliza without hesitation.

"That was quite a show in there, Eliza. I didn't know you had that in you," Andrew snickered.

She watched him shift his weight and put his empty hands into his pockets.

"What are you talking about?" she grumbled.

"You... Blackwell? That was so intense. Any reason why you're so on edge?" he asked.