FIFTEEN - Save Yourself The Heartbreak

Tanger stared. He stared hard. Dark eyes lighting fires on Tyler's skin, burning the wood of her stall, melting the ice she skated on. Every time he looked, his heart grew heavier.

Amanda started leaving her marks in more visible ways. Soft bruises of purple and blue formed underneath the collar of Tanger's jersey, along his wrists, up and down his spine. Everyone saw but no one said anything, not even Tyler.

She barely even looked at him.

Kris hobbled through the doors of the locker room after a tiring and difficult practice. He was about to cast a glance at Tyler's still empty stall when Flower obstructed his view.

"Don't look Tangs. Save yourself the heartbreak," He murmured, stretching tall on his feet.

"A little too late," Tanger hissed and shoved his best friend aside.

He was confused on what Flower tried to hide from him but after careful scrutinization, he noticed something missing. The puck had gone, disappeared from the top shelf. He sucked in a sharp breath and drew back.

"Whe-when?"

"The day after you two...you know..."

Tanger couldn't tear his eyes away, not even when Tyler sauntered in. She cast one glance over her shoulder at him before sitting down to undress.

"Come on, Tangs. You look like a lost puppy who's been kicked too many times," Flower urged, turning him away with strong hands.

But Tanger wouldn't let it slide. Instead, he waited like he used to for Tyler to leave the locker room before grabbing her aside.

"What are you doing?" She hissed, yanking her arm out of his grip.

"Where did you put the puck, Ty?" He croaked.

She narrowed her eyes, "What are you talking about?"

"T-the puck. Your first goal. You always had it in your stall..."

Tyler snorted and folded her arms across her chest, "I took it out. Why?"

"I thought it meant something to you..." He trailed off, rubbing at the back of his neck.

"And I thought I meant something to you," She snapped, cocking her hip and raising an eyebrow, daring him to challenge her.

"Y-you do, Ty."

"Don't fucking call me that. You lost that privilege when you started fucking that bitch."

He flinched, stepping back a little bit. He opened his mouth but couldn't get in a word before Tyler started up again.

"And obviously I don't mean anything to you if you fuck me one night and then go running back to your girlfriend with your tail between your legs. I told you to leave me alone. Do as your fucking told," She snarled. She flicked her hair over her shoulder and attempted to leave.

But Tanger snatched her wrist and tugged her back.

"Please, Tyler. Don't do this to me. I-"

"You what, Letang?" She glared at him. He could practically see the daggers she was throwing at him.

"I miss you," He choked out.

She gaped and then laughed, "You miss me? Un-fucking-believable. I trusted you, Tanger. I trusted you to keep me safe and love me and I promised myself that I would do the same to you. For fuck's sake, Tangs. I was falling in fucking love with you!"