10.) Hot Neighbors

Start from the beginning

I decided to follow suit and I sat beside him, looking out towards the ocean. “I knew that.” I told him.

He turned and looked at me with an ‘I know you’re lying’ smirk. “I’m sure you did.”

“I did.” I lied.

He rolled his eyes and I knew that there was no making him believe me, so I just gave up. At least I tried. “So you’re a dancer I take it?”

I nodded. “I am.”

“You’re good. I mean, I’m no dance expert, but you looked good.” He commented.

I blushed at the compliment. “Thanks.”

“How long have you been doing it?”

“Since elementary school.” I told him. “Twelve years, I think.”

“That’s a long time.” Damon said.

“I suppose.” I shrugged, laying in the sand and looking up at the sky. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Shoot.”

“You can’t laugh.” I told him. “Because it’s a serious question.”

“Okay, I’ll try not to laugh then.”

“Have you ever gotten attacked by a kangaroo?”

Of course, he laughed.

“Liar!” I snapped, lightly hitting the near-stranger on his bare bicep.

“I said I’d try not to laugh, I didn’t say that I wouldn’t.” He defended. “But why on earth would you think that I’ve been attacked by a kangaroo?”

“Because those things are vicious.” I told him. “Their tails are meant to kill.”

“Well, no, I’ve never gotten attacked by a kangaroo.” He assured me. “And their tails aren’t meant to kill, their tails help them jump.”

“That’s what they want you to think.” I whispered, causing Damon to laugh all over again. Wow, I must be hilarious today.

“So where are your friends?” He asked curiously.

I let out a soft sigh. “They decided to ditch me for their boyfriends.” I explained. “So I’m having a ‘me’ day.”

“Oh, yeah you’re friend, Holly I think is her name, made it pretty clear that you’re desperate.” He said with a small chuckle.

“I am not desperate!” I nearly snapped at the poor boy. “She just thinks that I am. I broke up with my boyfriend maybe three weeks ago. Well, he broke up with me, but I was okay with it. I think it takes at least two months before a girl can start feeling desperate.”

“Okay.” Damon surrendered. “Sounds complicated.”

“Yeah, welcome to my life.” I grumbled.

“Well, I suppose living around three of the most famous teenagers in the world is bound to have complications.”

“Those three don’t even have anything to do with my complications.” I told him matter-of-factly. “I mean, Jackson does kind of, but not really.”

“Sounds exciting.” Damon sighed. “A lot more interesting than here.”

“I think people getting attacked by kangaroos seems like it would be pretty exciting.” I told him.

“Nobody gets attacked by kangaroos.” He laughed.

“Well then there you go, that’s your problem.” I told him.