Chapter Sixty One

Start from the beginning

“There, all done now, sweetheart. Let’s get you a bottle and back to bed, yeah?” Zayn whispered again, as he fastened up the buttons on the baby’s pyjamas before placing a kiss onto her forehead. He got rid of the dirty nappy, before he went over to get the now warm bottle of milk. When she saw him she started to kick her legs out a little, that was a habit that she had when she saw food coming and became excited. Zayn chuckled and tested out the temperature of the milk onto his arm, and once he was sure it was a good temperature he picked up the tiny baby and gave the bottle to her. Aliyah was like a baby lamb when it came to her feeds, she never fussed about it. A bit like Niall, really.

Still feeding the baby, Zayn walked up the stairs slowly and went back into his bedroom. This was how all of his mornings went, he’d be woken up by Aliyah and he’d feed and change her, before he’d sing her back to sleep in his own bed, with the baby protectively cuddled onto his chest. He closed the door behind him with his foot and went over to his bed, smiling because it was still warm. He switched the bedside lamp on, his brown eyes quickly glancing at the time to see that his alarm clock read 4:27am, before he looked back to the suckling baby in his arms. He quietly started to sing ‘With You’ by Chris Brown to her, because she seemed to fall asleep to that one really well. Aliyah started to reject the bottle after two thirds of it, and Zayn smiled down at her, still singing quietly to her. He sat her up and wiped her mouth with one of her bibs that he kept in his room, before he patted her back and rubbed circles onto it to make the tiny baby burp, and when she did, he gave a triumphant smile and kissed her forehead, before the lyrics came flowing from his mouth again. He held Aliyah was laid out on his chest now, and he brought the duvet over them both, rubbing circles into her back still as he watched her fall asleep. She didn’t roll over yet, and so he was making the most of the tiny, restful bundle in his arms.

It didn’t take long for Aliyah’s eyes to close and once she was fast asleep in her brother’s protective arms, Zayn’s eyelids started to grow heavy as well. He was about to reach over and switch off the lamp, when his bedroom door opened quietly, and he saw the faces of his two other little sisters stood rubbing their eyes and yawning. He looked up at them and his first feelings were feelings of worry, but when he saw the smiles on their faces as they walked over to the bed, the worry faded away. He simply pulled his duvet back and the two girls got into the bed with him, one on either side of him, snuggled into his side. That’s how they all fell asleep this morning, tucked up in Zayn’s double bed, with the lamplight next to them.    

“You’ll be alright, won’t you Mum? It doesn’t matter if I miss another day of school,” Zayn started, but his Mother quickly cut him off as she held baby Aliyah in her arms, rocking her a little bit as Aliyah looked at Zayn with those bright brown eyes. The next morning was the day when he was going to go back to school for the first time in weeks, and even though he was excited to go and see his friends, he was dreading the amount of work that he was now behind on.

“Zayn, you’ve missed too much school, you need to go in today.” His Mother told him stubbornly, and he nodded a little as he pushed his Ray-Ban glasses over his nose. He was about to get out of the house to take the girls to school and go to his own school.

“Just remember that her next feed is at nine. She had a feed at about half four this morning, and she’ll only drink about two thirds of it, remember to burp her too, and then after her feed she has a long cuddle and a nap,” Zayn started to babble on, while Waliyha and Safaa sat in the front room throwing their school shoes at each other. His Mother was looking at him with a strange look, there was definitely a hint of arrogance in there, but there was something else that Zayn couldn’t put a pin on.

“Zayn, I know. She’s my own daughter…anyone would think she’s yours.” His Mum told him with a slight chuckle, and Zayn gulped and couldn’t bring himself to say anything. In all honesty, it felt like baby Aliyah was his. He’d been the one that looked after her since they had brought her home from the hospital, and he was the one to start to pick up on all of the little signs that the baby gave, like the way her little bottom lip would tremble before she would cry, like Safaa’s used too when she was a baby. It was weird to think that Safaa was no longer their little baby anymore.