Freyja- Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Later that day, Freyja had gone back into her village. She was reading a book, one about giants and other mystical things, while sunbathing on a rock. That was pretty much her life…wandering in the forest, and reading books. Oh and sometimes cleaning or cooking. It bothered her that this was her life. Yes, she was thankful for her family and friends but…she was always a rebellious girl, and wanted more in her life. And actually, she didn’t even have a family. She had foster parents, two very lovely people who had taken her as their own. Freyja was found in the forest, inside of a basket that was hanging down from a tree. No one knows where she came from. And truthfully, she didn’t care. If her parents were good people, they wouldn’t just hang their baby in a tree. But, still…she wanted MORE. She wanted to travel, and to meet interesting people. She was sick of the random, dirty travelers who passed by her village once every few moons. And meeting the strange man today made her realize how much she really wanted to just LEAVE…

And then her train of thoughts was interrupted by a loud scream. She shot up from the rock, hands instantly finding her bow and arrows. But she quickly lowered it. No. NO way.

The village was completely surrounded by men, all with swords and knives. And who was in the middle of the village, raising his sword? The man from earlier.

Boldly, Freyja stormed up and stood right in front of him, not caring that her friends were calling her name, warning her.

“And WHAT do you think you are doing, LORD Luke of England?” she demanded.

Luke grinned and said, “Why, I came here for stew, just like you promised me.”

“If you are taking a hold of this village, I demand a fight first,” Freyja said in a monotone voice, giving him a death glare that she was sure to make him drop dead.

Luke’s eyes widened. “You mean like a duel? My dear, your bow is no match for a sword in a fight, especially a sword used by a pirate!” Luke started to laugh, and so did his men.

“A WHAT?! You’re telling me that you’re a PIRATE?” She shouted with fury and disbelief.

“Yes ma’am. And, I’m not taking your village. I just ask for all your food, books, weapons, livestock, oh and…your shoes” Luke said in a mockingly gentle voice.

Without further hesitation, Freyja took her bow and an arrow, and pulled it back on the string. She released it, and was instantly satisfied. She had shot his hand, and now he would have a bloody hole in his hand forever. Good.

Luke clenched his teeth and clutched his hand, but still managed to hiss through his teeth, “And I suppose that now we are going to have to take you too, won’t we?” Before Freyja could run, she was seized by strong hairy arms and was dragged off into the forest.

She couldn’t remember much after that. She had put up so much of a struggle, that Freyja had been hit in the head with something heavy, and was knocked out. But when she woke up, she was laying in front of a fire, tied to a tree. She looked around her. She was still in the forest, but it was so far away from her village that she could not recognize it. And there was a strange salty smell in the air. She must be near the ocean, which she has only heard about from travelers, but she had never been to it. It was much too far away from the village. How had they managed to get here this fast? Then she looked to the other side of her. Tents and blankets were scattered everywhere, and men were sleeping all over the place. She furrowed her brow in frustration. She should not be here. She quickly felt the rope that had her tied to the tree. It was stiff, but not very tight. If she could just slip her fingers through…

“I wouldn’t do that, if I were you.” A familiar voice muttered. She jumped. She hadn’t noticed anyone near her. She looked as far behind her as she could, and there he was. Luke. Sitting on the other side of the tree.

She spat on his shoe. “You filthy, disgusting, pig-faced...”

She couldn’t finish, because he interrupted her. “Now, now. Calm down. I realize you might be angry. I understand. But hey, this is LIFE, dear Freyja, and things like this happen to small villages like yours.”

“I never told you my real name. I told you it was Ida. How did you know?” Freyja asked curiously.

“It’s stitched on to your gown…I may be a pirate, but I’m not stupid.” Luke responded as he rolled his eyes.

Damn. It was on her gown. Stupid mistake Freyja, she scolded to herself. “So…why are you in Norway? Why are you rampaging villages and stealing their supplies? And what was up with the “Lord” story? Why would you tell me that you're a lord, if you’re a pirate?”

Luke chuckled and said, “It’s true. I WAS a Lord. And I was banished. I just got so tired of living like a peasant after I was banished from my castle, that I decided to make myself a crew and steal things from villages to make a living…which I suppose people call pirates, right?”

Freyja chewed her bottom lip and pondered this for a while. She finally said, “I don’t care if you were the poorest man on Earth after you were banished. Being cruel and stealing will just make you poor in the heart, which will make you have a poor afterlife.”

Luke shook his head. “Oh there is so much you don’t understand, little Freyja. I have different beliefs than you. You silly Pagans believe silly things. Me? I’m Catholic. I pray to Jesus, I will go to heaven. No need to worry about me.”

Freyja started to shake her head. “Oh there is so much YOU don’t understand, little Luke. Being a good person matters. If your Jesus died because of people’s sins, I’m pretty sure he would appreciate if you were a kinder person.”

Luke grew silent. They sat there in the silence for a while, just staring up at the stars. After a while, Luke had started to rub his now bandaged hand.

“I’m sorry I shot your hand. Well, I’m kind of sorry.” Freyja murmured.

“Ah, it’s alright. I’ve had worse. I’m a big boy, I can take it. Now you should get sleep. You have a big day tomorrow…I believe it will be your first time on a boat?”

Freyja immediately went back to her anger, “Well, why don’t you just take me back then? You have NO use of me whatsoever. Let me go back! Take me back in the morning, or better yet, take me back NOW!”

But Luke just smiled and got up from the ground. He patted her head and walked away, into the largest tent.

Well, this is great, she thought sarcastically. But deep down, she was actually excited. She wanted something more in her life, right? Well even though this isn’t exactly what she meant, she still got more.