TigerShadow24_SC Contest Round Two

En başından başla

A few moments later he caught their scent. It wasn't hard, the trail of cat scent littered with dog scent and fresh rabbit blood and the bones of the corpses. Omega whined in hunger, realizing that the rest of the pack had eaten every offering on the ground and left nothing for him.

The young dog finally caught up to them moments later. They had stopped, forming a circle around something.

"Omega! Come here!" He pushed his way through the circle and gasped at the sight of a trembling brown cat.

"Omega, none of them left you rabbit to eat though I instructed them to. For their punishment, and to reward your loyalty, I am giving you the honor of consuming this cat." Omega nodded at his Alpha. Admittedly he didn't really want to kill the cat, but he was hungry, and who cared about a little cat?

It only took one swipe for him to knock her down, and one swift bite to the neck to kill her. His instincts took over as he stood above her, and she was consumed in moments. Feeling self satisfied, he licked his chops and bowed his head to Alpha.

Alpha howled at the night sky. "Pack, Pack! Kill, Kill!" All the other dogs took up the call, chanting the the moon and calling eagerly with their brethren.

All of the dogs perked at the sudden influx of new scents heading their way. Omega breathed in, taking in the sudden amount of cat scents.

"Pack! Kill!" Alpha's roars filled the air, and the pack jumped as one after the scents.

Omega snarled as cats appeared from behind trees, leading them on an endless chase through the forest. Omega tripped over a rock, slamming his head into a tree. In that second his mind cleared for just a moment, and he heard a curious roaring sound. One that was unfamiliar to him, but reminded him of danger and things to avoid.

"Pack! Pack!" He yelled, in attempt to gain attention. The others didn't stop, either because they didn't care or because they thought he was joining in.

"Pack!" The dog began to slow his run, lagging behind the rest of the group. Alpha was still very far in the lead, bounding uncontrollably through the forest.

The omega started when he realized that they had run out of forest. Instead they were in an open area, heading straight for what looked like a huge crack in the ground.

"No!" He yowled, watching as his Alpha, so caught up in attacking the cat, fell straight over the side. "Stop!"

But his cries were unheard. He watched as the members of his pack fell one by one over the side. The ones furthest at the back were barely able to stop, skidding to a halt at the very edge of the cliff.

"Alpha!" Omega howled. Yet the brown and black dog kept his distance from the edge, scared of falling to his doom.

He barked loudly as cats appeared once more from behind trees. He swiped a huge paw at them, forcing them to jump out of the way. Some yowled back at him, hissing and trying to attack him.

The omega was conflicted. His father, his Alpha, was dead. There was no doubt about it. Even if he had survived the fall, the ferocious waters would drag him endlessly through the river and drown him or exhaust him to death.

That meant that Omega was alone. He had no dog to lead him (there was no way he would listen to his siblings now that their father was gone) and he had nowhere to go.

Another cat hissed at him, and one ginger cat even had the gall to jump on his head. Her little claws did nothing more than sting his thick pelt, but he despised the little creatures that had undoubtedly caused his father's demise.

Omega realized that now was not the time to attack. He would need to rest, eat some more, or even just abandon the whole thing and try a new life. So the dog swiped the cat off of his head and bounded away after his siblings. The second he was away from the loud noises and annoying cats, his mind cleared.

What was he going to do now?

The Omega realized that he could do anything that he wanted. He could go hunt and eat all the food, leaving nothing for any other dog. He would never be stuck with the mediocre leftovers left from other dogs. He could make his own pack, or even be on his own.

Now that his Alpha was dead, there was one thing for certain.

He was free!

I made the dogs a bit more intelligent than in the books. My understanding of it was that the dogs in the book do not know catspeak (remember how Midnight knew catspeak, badgerspeak and foxspeak- three different languages. So dogspeak is another language too) and the only words the cats could understand- pack and kill- were words that just so happen to transcend the language barrier. I wanted a happy ending for this one as well, and according to the Warriors Wiki only the pack leader and like two other dogs actually fell in the gorge- the rest, left without a leader, went on their own and fled from the gorge. So yeah. I hope you liked it!