reunite

Beep. Beep. Beep.

You jolt up, pulling at the IV in your arm. Three nurses run into the room, each doing their best to subdue you as you claim your arms and legs around. "Get off of me."

The nurses stepped back, clearly understanding it was their presence distressing you. "Calm down, YN calm down you are safe this is a hospital, you are safe. Your friends are here, you were in a fire, you have inhaled a lot of smoke."

You tugged on the IV, unsure what they were pumping you with. "I don't believe you, get away from me."

The nurse stays still, all of them looking between one another as if to judge their next steps. "I understand, I understand but you have to leave the IV in you could seriously hurt yourself. I need you to calm down or I'll have to sedate you."

"Get away from me." You pick up the control close to the bed and throw it at them. Your heart rate picks up as they mention sedation. "Leave me alone please leave me alone."

"I know this is scary and you probably don't have much trust in us right now but I promise you that you are safe here, you were severely dehydrated. The IV is helping with that. I can take you to your friends if you like, your IV is portable, you aren't strapped in here."

"I want it out." You shake your head. "I want it out now."

The nurse disagrees. "I understand but if we do that it will impact your health, we have to leave the IV in for now."

You pick up the box of tissues beside you, throwing it this time towards the nurse closest to the door. "Either you take it out or I take it out."

"Yn." You hear her before you see her.

You call out her name. "Kuina?"

"I'm here, it's me I'm here." She rounds the corner. "It's okay it's real, it's an IV it's over, we are safe it's okay."

She's in front of you as fast as she can be, wrapped her arms around you as you both deflate into a pile of sobs. "Are you okay?"

She nods into your chest. "I'm fine."

"An? Chishiya?" You pull back.

"They got out okay." She looks at the nurses. "Let the nurse check to make sure you didn't hurt yourself."

"I don't trust them." You whisper just enough for her to hear.

"I didn't either but you have my word you can trust them."

You surveyed them warily, none of them taking offence to the obvious scepticism you had towards them. "Just one of you."

"Thank you." The nurse gestures for the others to leave as she approaches you, her moves were slow almost as though she was trying to prove herself to be no threat. "Are you in any pain at all?"

"No." You respond without looking at her, your fear is too great. "Kuina, have you seen Chishiya?"

The nurse responded when Kuina didn't. "Is that your friend? The blonde one?"

"Yeah." Your voice was clipped.

The nurse tried to reassure and for the most part, you're thankful. "He's fine, just down the hall with a few minor burns and some exhausted lungs after inhaling so much smoke. The other woman was worse off."

"Kuina, what does she mean?"

Kuina looked away. "An was shot in surgery."

You felt selfish for being afraid, for wanting to find Chishiya when Kuina was struggling so obviously. "I'm so sorry it's going to be okay, she's going to be okay."