Chapter 3

Mumbai

Aisha had spent the entire evening obsessing over what to wear for the meeting. Despite her best efforts to focus on other things, her mind kept drifting back to the marriage proposal. Every outfit idea seemed inadequate, and she couldn't shake the nerves fluttering in her stomach.

Suddenly, in the middle of the night, Aisha bolted upright in bed, startling her sister, Sara, who was sleeping next to her.

"Aapi, what’s wrong?" Sara screamed, her heart pounding as she rubbed her eyes and squinted at the clock on the bedside table. "It's the middle of the night!"

"I know what I’m going to wear!" Aisha announced dramatically, her eyes wide with excitement.

Sara groaned and pulled the blanket over her head. "Couldn’t this revelation have waited until morning?"

"No, listen! I’ll wear a saree, like Poonam did in Vivah. It’s perfect for an arranged marriage proposal," Aisha explained, her voice brimming with conviction. She could almost see herself, draped in the elegant saree, walking gracefully into the room just like Poonam. The vision was so vivid she could practically hear the background music.

Sara peeked out from under the blanket, her expression a mix of irritation and amusement. "Aapi, you do realize Poonam was practically ready for marriage in that movie, right? The guy might run away thinking you’re all set to tie the knot tomorrow!"

Aisha chuckled, shaking her head. "It's just to make a good impression. It's elegant and traditional. I’ll look stunning, just like Poonam."

"Great, you can be Poonam," Sara muttered, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "But if the guy gets scared and bolts, you can't blame me."

Aisha grinned, feeling a wave of relief wash over her. "Thanks, Sara. You're the best."

"Yeah, yeah. Just let me sleep now," Sara muttered, turning over and pulling the blanket tightly around herself. "And please, no more midnight epiphanies."

Aisha lay back down, her mind now more at ease. With her outfit decided, she finally felt a bit more prepared for what tomorrow would bring.

The night was still, and while Sara snored softly beside her, Aisha fantasized about making a perfect impression. In her mind, she was the epitome of grace and tradition, ready to embark on this new chapter of her life with confidence and poise.

___________________________

The next day, in the quiet sanctuary of Zain's apartment, the air hung heavy with anticipation, the only sound the soft hum of the air conditioner. There was no chaos, no excited chatter—just a comfortable silence that enveloped the space like a warm embrace. It was just Zain and his mother, the two of them sharing a moment of quiet contemplation amidst the stillness.

Zain's mother broke the silence, her voice gentle yet filled with purpose. "Zain, beta, I have something to tell you," she began, her eyes meeting his with a steady gaze.

Zain looked up from his book, a hint of curiosity in his eyes. "Yes, Ammi? What is it?"

His mother smiled, a natural warmth spreading across her face. "We have a meeting arranged for you today, this evening actually, it's the alliance I was talking about the day before."

Zain's heart skipped a beat, surprise flickering in his eyes. He hadn't expected the meeting to be arranged so quickly.

"Today?" Zain echoed, his mind racing with questions and uncertainties. "But... I thought..."

His mother reached out and placed a reassuring hand on his arm. "I know it seems sudden, beta, but trust me, this is for the best. Sometimes, fate works in mysterious ways, and we have to be open to the possibilities it presents."