Second Chances

TANNER*

I took a sabbatical and returned feeling refreshed. Blaze was hesitant about my long absence, but I spent around two months on the coast. During my walks along the beach, I observed sunrises and sunsets and found solace in the starry nights. I stayed true to my word and kept busy by working from the beach cabin, which became my home. I only went into town to search for land for our business or to buy groceries.

Although a few women had shown interest in me, I couldn’t shake thoughts of Kaysen from my mind. She was like the air I needed to breathe. Deep down, I kept telling myself that she deserved someone better. The longing to be with my family intensified my inner turmoil. I had already missed seven Saturday night Cunningham dinners, and my Aunt Diana was growing increasingly upset. She had called me repeatedly, urging me to come home, and had expressed her disappointment. 

After being away for two months, I finally returned home. The first thing on my mind was to call Kaysen and apologize for my past behavior. However, every time I tried to call her, I ended the call before it could connect. Last night, I went to Hector’s Strip Club hoping to find Kaysen, but I found out from the staff that she had quit a month ago. Now, I face the difficult task of reaching out to Kaysen by phone and hoping she will give me another chance.

I’m currently walking around Walgreens picking up little odds and ends since I had left most everything I had taken with me at the beach front condo I had bought over a month ago. It will be an excellent place for Blaze and Jace to bring their families on vacation. If they ever take a vacation, that is.

As if the universe could sense the storm raging in my mind, I unexpectedly turn down an aisle and there stands Kaysen, lost in her own thoughts. She looks absolutely stunning in a knee-length dress that stresses her beautiful curves. Her raven-colored hair, trimmed to fall gracefully to the middle of her back, grants me a perfect view of her heart-shaped ass. Regret fills my heart for foolishly leaving her. Lost in her own bliss, she remains oblivious as I approach and observe her for a few precious moments. 

“Kaysen?” 

Kaysen’s breath hitches, making me reluctant to approach her. When she spins around, I wince at the sight of her face, red and pinched with anger. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that she’s angry, especially after my two-month absence with no contact. My heart skips a beat, desperately hoping for a warm welcome. But deep down, I know I’ve made a mistake in ever leaving her in the first place. The look on her face tells me she won’t give me a chance, not even in hell. She deserves better, and I should let her go.

After venting her frustration at me, she storms off. Despite knowing I should let her go, I find myself going after her, begging her not to walk away from me. I had hoped that Kaysen would at least listen to me, but her words ring true and cut deep into my soul. It feels as if my heart is being ripped out, shattering into a million pieces. I expose my vulnerable self to her once again, tears welling up in my eyes. No one could ever replace her. She is the light at the end of my dark tunnel. She is my everything. The thought of losing her forever is unbearable to me. 

She yelled at me again and stormed away, leaving me with the sinking feeling that I had lost her for good. Overwhelmed by the situation, I couldn’t bear to stay any longer. I dropped everything I had in my hands and walked out to my truck, feeling completely dazed. Once inside, I pounded my hands on the dashboard and cried like I had never cried before. It was a moment of realization. I couldn’t believe I had been so foolish as to leave Kaysen. In doing so, I had lost the one person who could save me. I sat there for a while, allowing myself to calm down and regain my clarity. The truth hit me like a ton of bricks - walking away from Kaysen was an incredibly selfish and thoughtless act. I had convinced myself that it was the right thing to do, but in reality, it was the worst mistake I could have made. All because I stubbornly refused to consider marriage or having children, for reasons that eluded me.