Nineteen

Isabelle Oliver

Isabelle Oliver

"Are you nervous?" Roman asks me as we head in the opposite direction to Theo. I shrug, what was I supposed to say? The butterflies that had been tickling my tummy all day had suddenly multiplied the minute I had left Theo's side.

"That's a silly question," I inform Roman, glancing up at him for a second before looking back in front of me. I stay close to my older brother as we wander through the halls of kids. The hallways were bright with colourful posters and paintings made by the other children on the walls.

We passed the younger kids' classrooms first before going down another hallway that took me to a hall filled with kids who looked more my age.

"This is your class," Roman tells me, 6H was written on the door. That was what the receptionist had said, hadn't she? "Your teacher's name is Miss Holland, I went to high school with her, I think she was in Maddox's grade."

"How nice," I mutter sarcastically before I even think about it, I grimace in apology. I hadn't meant to say that out loud but Roman didn't comment on it, maybe he knew just how nervous I was.

"Come on, baby." Roman knocked on the classroom door, waiting for permission before entering, there were a couple of students scattered around the classroom but not many since we were still a little early, the teacher sat at her desk at the front of the room and was very pretty. She had red hair and pale skin and a nice smile on her face. She looked around Maddox's age confirming what Roman had said about them being in the same year at school.

"Roman, what a surprise to see you," Miss Holland greeted first, obviously not seeing me as I was hiding behind my brother. Roman immediately notices immediately what I am doing and brings me around him to stand in front of him. "And you must be Isabelle, oh my you two look almost identical."

"I'm glad that one of my siblings came out looking like me," Roman answers her.

"Welcome to my classroom Isabelle, I'm Miss Holland and I'm so glad you're here." She smiled sweetly at me and I couldn't help but smile back.

"It's nice to meet you," I mumble back, leaning back into Roman's chest. But I reward her smile with a small one of my own. A shrill bell rings and the students in the classroom start scrambling around.

"It's assembly time, normally on Monday and Friday mornings there is assembly but today you and I are going to spend that time getting to know one another if that's okay with you." The students leave the classroom, giving me curious looks. "Just give me a moment, Isabelle. Why don't you say goodbye to your brother in the meantime?"

Miss Holland leaves the classroom, calling out for her students to remember their blazers.

"What do you think?" Roman asks me and I just shrug. What else was I supposed to say, it was simultaneously very similar to my old school yet totally different. "Will you be fine here?"