027

The next morning, Delaney woke to the grey light of dawn filtering through her window, casting a cold, dull hue over her room. She lay there for a moment, disoriented and heavy with the weight of yesterday's events. Her eyes were swollen from crying, her body sore and achy. She felt as if she hadn't slept at all, though she couldn't remember when she had finally drifted off.

She turned her head to the side, her gaze falling on the photograph of her mother that she had clutched tightly through the night. The image was blurred by her tears, but she could still make out the warm, loving smile that seemed so far away now. A lump formed in her throat, but she didn't have any more tears left to cry.

With a deep, shuddering breath, she forced herself to sit up. Every movement felt like an effort, her limbs heavy and uncooperative. She glanced around her room, which felt strangely empty despite being filled with the same familiar objects. It was as if a veil had been pulled back, revealing the stark reality of her life in harsh, unforgiving light.

She dragged herself out of bed, her feet touching the cold floor with a jolt that made her shiver. She shuffled to her dresser, the act of getting dressed feeling monumental. Each piece of clothing felt like it weighed a ton, but she went through the motions mechanically, numb to everything but the persistent ache in her chest.

As she made her way downstairs, the house was eerily quiet. The remnants of the fire in the living room were cold and lifeless, a stark reminder of what had been lost. Her father was nowhere to be seen, and she was grateful for the small mercy of not having to face him. She couldn't bear to see his indifferent eyes or hear his callous words.

In the kitchen, she poured herself a bowl of cereal, though she had no appetite. She stared at the milk swirling around the flakes, her mind blank. She forced herself to take a few bites, but the food tasted like ash in her mouth. Each swallow was a struggle, and she gave up after a few spoonfuls, pushing the bowl away.

The day stretched out before her, an expanse of emptiness she couldn't fathom how to fill. She felt hollow, as if a crucial part of her had been ripped away, leaving only a gaping void. She wandered through the house aimlessly, her thoughts sluggish and unfocused.

--

The crushing weight of her anxiety returned, making it hard to breathe, hard to think. Her mind raced, desperate for some kind of relief from the relentless pain and emptiness. She picked up her phone once more, her hands shaking slightly as she opened her contacts and scrolled to Ant's name.

Ant had always been the one who could get things, the one with connections. She hesitated for a moment, guilt gnawing at her, but the overwhelming need to escape her feelings pushed her forward. She started typing.

DJ🎸: Hey Ant, you around?

The reply came after a few minutes, the familiar three dots giving her a glimmer of hope.