chapter 37

Fireworks between the Flames

What had been seemingly overbearing sounds - the wind in the trees and the birds cawing loudly from the branches, had now all but been replaced with the thundering beat of your heat

What had been seemingly overbearing sounds - the wind in the trees and the birds cawing loudly from the branches, had now all but been replaced with the thundering beat of your heat. The thudding pounded like hoofbeats in your ears, as you made your way back to meet with David in a trance like state. 

The ride home was filled with a few questions, and you answered them as dully as you could and with casual passivity - when in reality you were clutching tightly at the fabric of your shawl because at last, you had finally seen her. Your mother. 

The woman who had been the phantom stalking your dreams for years, a comforting thought in the darkest of tormenting arguments with that bastard father of yours.... now she was real again, and you finally had a chance to reconnect with her.

Touching back at Applewood Creek felt like a blessing though, considering you had left with many anxieties about being caught out. The cart wheels slowed to a rumbling halt, as you carefully stepped down with David's assistance. 

"Well, I hope you had a good time out, Mrs Callahan." he smiled, quickly glancing at your surroundings. "But ya' better hurry home, Arthur will have my skin for hide if he even figures I took ya' out somewhere off the property."

You nodded promptly, and rested your hand momentarily on the young boy's shoulder. 

"Thank you, David. I really appreciate the gesture, and I appreciate your secrecy." you added, a silent point to solidify that this indeed was not to be heard of to anyone else. Let alone your husband, who would surely hit the roof. After all that had happened, Arthur was even more protective about letting you wander anywhere too far from the property. 

-

You mobilized as quickly as your pregnant figure would let you, back to the cabin. You had only been within the solid wooden walls for a mere five or so minutes, before your cowboy returned from a hard day's work. 

Arthur exhaled a long breath, hanging his hat up by the door and kicking off his dusty boots. He smelt strongly of fresh air and that mild lingering scent of horse-flesh, a musky scent you welcomed as you all too well associated it with him. 

"Welcome home, cowboy." you smiled warmly, walking the short distance to greet him as he drew you into an embrace, arms looped around your back. 

"Glad to be back, sweetheart." he cooed, that sweet note on his rumbling voice just for you. He kissed you chastely on the forehead, drawing back to look at you. "How's my girl been today? That kid of mine been alright?" he followed up, the big smile on his face all but contradicting the 'not so fond' terminology he had used for your child. 

"Meh, so-so." you played along, poking your swollen belly softly. "I want it out now, I hate waddling around."

Taking you by the hand, Arthur led you both to the nearby kitchen table, sitting you down in your usual chair and then taking his nominated seat opposite.