Chapter 16 (Pt.2)

Gregor was quite taken aback. "So, Lin and Cormax are not bonded to Egle and Lithclaw, but they still work as a team all the same?" He asked Hazard. "Oh yes," Hazard said matter-of-factly, "few actually bond now, since there is no 'strife' or 'war' to be feared anymore." He shrugged. "Quite a pity I think," he said, looking concernedly at Gregor, "though the absence of war and the forthcoming of peace had linked the Underland creatures closely together, it has distanced us from those we used to share something much more than just feelings of alliance for the sake of survival." He turned back to watch the stage, with a small furrow on his delicate brow. Gregor marveled at how the boy seemed to give so much thought in details like this, how his opinions felt so deep and mature for his age. "We take what's given for granted, until it is taken away from us. Then we start to see its value and we cherish it." He told Hazard. That seemed to deepen Hazard's frown, as he contemplated what Gregor meant.

Vikus then rose to his feet. "We should now discuss how the actions of reaction we will take to this incident. Do any of the council members or anyone present have any thoughts on this matter? Please stand up if you wish to speak."

One of the council members stood. "I think two deaths like this, though tragic it may be, is anything but worth our whole Underland world going to war, when we have maintained so delicately, this peace that lasted for so long." There were many murmurs of agreement from others in the council. Luxa, who had been surprisingly quiet and thoughtful looking until that moment, got to her feet.

"I propose war." She said calmly. Gregor inwardly marveled at how calm and cool Luxa sounded, how reasonable her tone was, and how steady and accurate her words were as she spoke. "Lin and Cormax were one of our mixed-scouts, one of the fighters, holding back the danger while we lived in our blissful peace. The attack on them was a signal, it was a signal of contempt on our alliance, it was a specifically targeted attack on the protectors of our lands, and if we do not fight back in unison against such a disgusting act, then we are a disgrace to this land which Sandwich bestowed upon us. It is not just in the justice of revenge to enact war against such vail creatures, it is also our duty."

"I agree," Gregor said, causing every eye in the room to look at him, he saw Luxa give a slight smile, and carried on. "If we don't fight back, who knows how many will die in the future to the threat we know exists, but were unwilling to fight against?" Many were nodding in agreement, but still, some of them still had their brows furrowed, and looked unconvinced.

"If war is raged every time one of our scouts happens to die for conditions that may even be accidental, how can any of us calm our hearts in peace ever again?" One of them shouted, and many beside him nodded and yelled their approval. Gregor didn't have time to respond, or more precisely, he didn't know how. How are you supposed to answer to a question like that? But then, to not just his but everyone's surprise, Vikus rose and spoke on Gregor's behalf.

"I would rather have anything but war, in any condition," he began, "but sometimes, it is the only way to gain peace. I stand with the warrior and the queen: we need to answer the war signal sent by the cutters."

It was then that Hazard, who had been silent ever since Gregor's words, suddenly shot to his feet. "I agree with Vikus," He said through the silence, "peace is never held just by cowering away from threat. Our lands will burn and our blood will spill if we fall back in fear at the sight of danger, and the only way to ensure peace and survival is to bring the battle to them, let their lands waste, let them cower under the revenge of peace, only then can we keep the flourish of the charted lands alive and the evil of the uncharted lands at bay." He surveyed all the people around him grimly, and added: "And I believe this war will again remind us of how valuable peace itself is, and not something we can take for granted." He sat down, his clear lime-green eyes still dancing around the faces in the crowd. There was a long pause, as everyone considered what Hazard had just said. It was obviously quite a new way of thinking about the relationship between peace and war, since the Underlanders seem to have much to ponder. Then, when the muttering and nodding or shaking of heads had slowly died down, Vikus again rose to his feet.

"Let us now vote." He said in that always calm and reasonable voice. "Those in favor of war, please raise your hands." Gregor saw hands shooting into the air, some were powerful, as if their owners wanted to punch a hole in the roof for all they were worth; some were a bit hesitant, as if their owners had just now been convinced by one of their neighbors that war was the only option; and yet though almost all had their hands in the air, a few still kept theirs firmly on their lap, looking stonily at Vikus and some at Gregor, their faces reflecting no doubt in their decision. Gregor knew that the majority, and a very giant one at that, had agreed and raised their hands in favor of war, but he still worried about the minority: How will they act? Will they just follow everyone else in the preparation of war, or will they impede it? But that question was for another day.

"We will have war then," Vikus said just as calmly as before, "come as it may, we will fight the cutters again." He looked slowly from face to face. "That concludes the entire meeting." 

Though Gregor had his heart set on defeating the cutters, he couldn't help experiencing an awful twisted kind of Deja-vu, this time much too real for him to bare.

They were going to do it. They were back to war. After almost 3 years of utter calm and harmony, the Underland will again sink into blood bath, this time in both the charted and uncharted lands. Corpses will litter the riverbanks and caves, the stench of rotting corpses of humans, gnawers, nibblers, spinners, flyers, crawlers and cutters alike will permeate the air of the Underland again, and God knows when will it stop. The weapons smiths will sweat from exertion again, the furnaces will burn red hot, and the boiling oil will rain like death from the sky. After all the vows they had made, after Gregor split his sword, and even after the unition of all creatures in the charted lands, they were back at it again, just like a drug addict experiencing relapse.

What a waste.