Chapter 8

"Nike!" Gregor exclaimed. The bat hadn't changed much, though the slightly thicker fur on her neck and head suggested that she had matured a bit. He was so happy to see her, as if he'd relived one of his best dreams, and those were hard to come by.

"Hey you!" Said Boots, running over and gently patting Nike on the head with her pudgy hand. "Z is for zebra." She said, "And P is for Princess." She had still not grown out of that alphabet song. "And pretty!"

Nike allowed Boots to pet her a few more times, before she turned her attention to the rest of the group.

"How many of you are coming?" She asked politely.

Wordlessly, Lizzie stepped forward. Gregor's dad hesitated. He looked torn between his children and his wife, and Gregor felt his heart ache for him.

"It's okay, dad," Gregor said as he held his dad's hand, "stay here with mom. Take care of her, and don't worry about me, I'll be back before you know it."

His dad nodded. He couldn't speak, and just held Gregor's hand as Boots and Lizzie climbed onto Nike's back. Then finally, it was Gregor's turn. He gently let his dad go, and settled onto Nike. Gregor's mom stepped forward.

"Bring one of the girls back, after it's been decided who's to stay." She said to him.

"I'll bring them both back before you can start to worry mom." He promised her, with a forced smile.

"Oh," She answered, "I'm already starting to worry."