𝟎𝟏𝟗. 𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰

𝖤𝖺𝗋𝗅𝗒 𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 2022

𝖤𝖺𝗋𝗅𝗒 𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 2022

𝕵amie startles as the apartment door swings open and Trevor shuffles in, head hanging low, hands uncharacteristically gripping the door with tension.

"Uh", the younger boy begins, already regretting getting so comfortable on the couch under the blanket and his iPad sitting right beside him with Winnie's confused face filling the screen when she realises that he's gotten distracted.

"I swear if you run off to the bathroom again, Drysdale, I'm gonna kill myself".

"Yeah, Win—".

"No".

Trevor throws him a cursory glance before rushing into his room and Jamie curses under his breath before turning to his iPad.

"Gonna have to leave, Win. I'm sorry".

She squints at him through the screen, "Why?".

"I think Trevor just did something stupid. He wasn't even supposed to be home tonight".

"Fine", the girl sighs, "We'll do movie night again on Saturday. My choice".

He almost opens his mouth to bicker with her over the fact that even today's pick 'Monster University' was hers but stops himself upon realising that he's the one disturbing their plans at the moment.

So, he laughs quietly at her smug face, bids her goodbye, promises to text back with updates the next morning and hurries into Trevor's room to check on him.

He pauses over the threshold when he catches sight of the things that once lay so precious in his friend's room are now stacked right by the doorway.

"Trevor . . . .", Jamie finds his way through the mess, frowning at Trevor's bent back busy ruffling inside the closet.

"What did you do?".

"I—", Trevor begins but chokes on his words, raking both hands through his hair and exhaling a tired sob.

Jamie quickly crouches down beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder to let him know that he's not alone.

And Trevor breaks down.

"I hate myself", he grunts shoving his foot against a shelf, tears freely falling down his cheeks as he tries desperately to wipe them away in a harsh attempt at appearing stable.

"I ran out, Jamie. I ran out. I can't believe myself. Couldn't even wait for her response because I knew I couldn't follow through with it if I stayed and heard her talk", another sob breaks out of him, "God, I couldn't even look at her without crying. I hate myself".

"Z, no. No. I told you—no, what the fuck? You can't do this. You have to fix this. Come on, you cannot—".

"No", his bloodshot eyes move to Jamie's panicked expression.

"You're staying out of this. This isn't about you and you are not going to do anything. This is what's best for the both of us".

Jamie chuckles dryly, shaking his head.

"Best for who? Because I know it's not best for her. And if it was best for you then you wouldn't be here bawling your eyes out".

"I don't care, Jamie. Of course, it's going to hurt but—", he screws his eyes shut, digging the heels of his palms into his eyes, an exhausted sigh escaping from his mouth.

The tears now completely coat his cheeks and Jamie holds himself back from throwing his arms around his best friend and consoling him because this is just outrageous. This is Trevor's doing.

"I can't do this, it hurts so much", Trevor cries leaning his head back against the wall and Jamie places a hand on his knee, squeezing it for comfort.

"Hey, there's still time. There's still tomorrow".

But those words don't seem to reassure Trevor as they both sit there on the ground for the next two hours, with Jamie letting Trevor cry to him and only the promise of the next day looming over them.

The next day, Jamie wakes up to an empty house.

He has no idea how and when Trevor left the house without notice but he did it this morning and there is a very weird feeling of foreboding burning inside Jamie.

He makes breakfast for himself and almost startles again when the doorbell rings.

Cautiously, he saunters over to the door and opens it, stepping back in surprise as the bright blue eyes stare up at him as if they're staring right through into his soul.

Her long blonde hair is in a messy bun over her head and she looks tired to say the least.

Now, suddenly Jamie gets a very, very bad feeling in his gut.

"Hey, Mads".

"Where is he?".

"He, uh, I don't know actually. He wasn't there when I woke up".

She blinks, mouth parting in contemplation of her next words.

"Did he tell you what he did? I just—no. You know what? I need to see him. Talk to him".

"You can come in, if you want".

"No. I'll text him. Tell him to come see me as soon as possible when he returns. Can you do that?".

He swallows, nodding at her request and watches her walk away to the elevator, the bad feeling never leaving his gut.

Trevor showed up late that night and locked himself in his room.

Madeleine never came back to their apartment.

And Jamie tried to help piece his friend back together knowing full well that had he just done something, let go of his loyalty for Trevor for just one second things would be so much different.

He will keep wondering about all the different outcomes for the next seven months even when Trevor finally takes it upon himself to get his girl back.

***
is jamie even alive??? i miss him 😔