𝟎𝟎𝟐. 𝐣𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐡𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐞𝐬

𝕿he woman in front of her seems to take forever in deciding whether she'd like to pay with cash or card and with each passing second, Madeleine is sure that if she's made to wait any longer she will be found passed away right here on the floor of the store.

A dramatic exclamation from the back of the line catches her attention.

"This is never-ending", the words are followed by a groan and there's something about the voice that is mildly unsettling to her.

Her brain aggressively signals her to not turn and see who the voice belongs to, to remain oblivious for as long as possible but her body seems to have a mind of its own.

Craning her neck, she glances back and she immediately wishes that she hadn't.

She would've been so much better off if she had never seen that side profile ever in her life again.

Shock penetrates through her senses, alarm bells sounding loudly in her head, her reflexes on an instant alert with the sense of impending doom slowly and gradually closing up on her.

She stares back at that alluring face, those calculating blue eyes — the same ones that once stared so lovingly at her, that she'd dream about for days on end after he walked away and left her brittle heart bleeding — narrowed in irritqtedly at a person a bit farther back in the line.

Averting her gaze, she feels her eyebrows pulling into a frown when she finds none other than Jack Hughes standing there staring at her favourite shade of blue with an equally annoyed expression.

She wants to look away so bad, she knows that it'll be disastrous if she's caught staring at them, but it's just so damn hard.

He's beautiful, in every way possible.

Even his now wide-eyed gaze laden on his friend looks like the prettiest and most adorable thing she's ever seen.

The highway never seemed like a better bed before.

"Uh, ma'am?".

The voice interrupts her gawking and she snaps her neck so quickly that she fears she may have dislocated a bone.

Damn you, Trevor.

The attendant looks at her expectancy and now that she's back to her senses, she wastes no time in getting her groceries checked out and scurries out the automatic doors practically sprinting to the rented car parked nearby.

She unlocks it in a hurry and begins shoving her bags inside the trunk, her stomach knotted in a serious fever of anxiety as the thought of them seeing her here starts closing in on her sanity.

Apparently, the big bag of vegetables she bought does not like the idea of being brutally shoved inside the car.

And so, it casually topples over spilling out all of its contents on the dirty parking lot floor, everything strewing around close to her car.