Chapter 167

"Why... Why are you like this?"

 The intense pain where her arm was cut off was unbearable, but the girl didn't care about it anymore. What hurt her more than anything was the expression on the young man's face before her.

 His expression displayed not just confusion but also shock, despair, and fear. He held her arm tightly with wrinkled hands. On the ground lay writing tools, scrolls, and countless jet-black crow feathers...

 As she thought about her actions, her intentions, and the outcome, she understood how serious the situation was. She raised her dirty face.

 In the dark forest at night, unable to move, she gazed up at him...

 "No, this is...! N-no, no!!"

 "Don't speak! I won't allow you to use Kotodama (word technique)...!!"

 "A chain or rope!! Bring more of those!! We can't stop this one with just this!!"

 As soon as the exorcist girl opened her mouths to apologize, she was gagged. With strengthened wings, limbs, and spiritual power, they relentlessly sealed her with specially trained chains and custom-made ropes.

 Even with one arm gone, the girl stayed alert, mercilessly dealing with any part of their enemies. Spending her life fighting clever monsters, she understood that any mistake could mean their end. Swiftly cutting off heads was seen as a kind act. At first, there were only two of them, but soon more allies arrived, overpowering her.

 "Phew. That was close..."

 "Leader!"

 Someone emerged from the bushes. The girl, lying on the ground, pleaded for understanding, if not innocence. She sought defense from her.

 "To think you'd resort to such deeds at this juncture... Truly, even half-transformed, monsters are still monsters. One must remain vigilant."

 "Ugh!?"

 But a cold, indifferent gaze looked down upon her. She couldn't help but shiver at the lack of warmth in those eyes, so devoid of humanity.

 Why? How? Hadn't they endured hardships together, cooperated for his sake? How could this be happening?

 "Leader, what should we do? Should we..."

 "It's not our place to decide her fate. However... it's unlikely we can seek judgment now. Restrain her, take her away. It's not proper to expose her any further in front of our lord."

 Following the leader's orders, her subordinates respectfully escorted her away. They all agreed with the urgency of the situation.

 They didn't want to burden the young man they had chosen as their new leader any further. They had decided to look up to him for guidance.

 "Yotachi!"

 "It's dangerous!! Stay back!!"

 As the girl was roughly dragged away, the young man tried to stop. In his hand was a blood-stained sword. He was the one who had cut off the girl twisted arm, the one they called the Sword of Vengeance (Harimoto sword).

 "But she's...!!"

 "Do you forget what she did just moments ago?! Such atrocities... cannot be forgiven!"

 The emerged girl interrupted his defense with harsh words. She was not only his loyal companion since ancient times but also his faithful servant. She tried to calm him down, blocking his view of her, directing her infinite hostility towards her.