Chapter Thirty

****

****

The violent storm finally calmed after long hours of its outrage. When the family thought that they could finally rest, the storm only pushed the walkers to the barn. Everyone fought for their lives and for each other against the dead that tried to get into the barn along with mother nature that seemed to be against them too, only in the morning they would realize that the storm, even though harsh, was on their side— the tall and thick trees had fallen over the walkers due to the strong winds and lightening strikes. It was only odd that the barn was untouched by it. Later that day as Natalia would realize that phenomenon, Gabriel secretly watched as she would grab the Holy Bible and shove it in her bag.

Currently Daryl had his back against the barn's wall as Natalia laid beside him, curled on her side. Biting down on his nails, Daryl turned to gaze at Natalia and noted that whenever she was exhausted, Natalia would sleep with her mouth slightly gaped.

A crooked smile appeared on Daryl's thin lips as his hand stretched out towards her, caressing her cheek gently with his thumb. Even though he was afraid to wake her, Daryl couldn't resist touching her. What he feared happened as Natalia's eyes fluttered open, blinking her sleepiness away.

"Are you okay?" Natalia said groggily as she lifted herself up.

Daryl simply nodded as he took Natalia's hand and gripped it in his.

"Didn't mean to wake you." Daryl said lowly as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling Natalia in his side.

"You get any rest?" Natalia asked, even though she knew his answer. Daryl shook his head as he rest his cheek on the top of her head gently.

"Wasn't able to." Daryl honestly said to Natalia as he rubbed his thumb on her hand.

A part of Natalia felt guilty for being able to sleep while Daryl struggled, but Natalia didn't know that throughout the night, Daryl found comfort in watching her sleep beside him.

As Natalia's eyes darted around the barn, she noticed two people were missing. "Where's Maggie and Sasha?"

"They're outside— watching the sunrise."

Knowing that they were okay, Daryl could feel Natalia's tensed body ease— Natalia didn't know it yet but Daryl was already confident that Natalia would make a great leader if she was put up to it; she cared for her people and family, even when she didn't necessarily liked them, like Sasha, Eugene and Gabriel.

A while later, everyone woke up from their fickle sleep. Without any food and water to prepare, no one got up from their spot— they didn't even have the energy to converse with each other properly.