Chapter Twenty Seven

****

****

Rick was woken by his baby daughter's cries and immediately, the concerned father was on his feet. But before Rick could reach for his baby, Tyreese was already taking care of the little girl.

Thanking Tyreese before stretching his aching bones, Rick's eyes wandered for his son and sister; Carl was sat with Johnny, Maggie and Daryl as they watched the water they collected slowly boil.

The family were unable to keep going with their transportation and had to continue aimlessly on feet and now they were currently rested deep in the woods by a lake, where they took a break from the walkers.

Rick's eyes landed on Michonne who sat behind Natalia, braiding her hair; Natalia did not manage to sleep after her watch during the night with Carol and while Michonne could see how deeply impacted Natalia was, Michonne offered to tidy her hair in a braid; trying her best to make Natalia feel better, even if it was a simple gesture.

"Mornin'." Rick said to the two women as a crooked smile was on his lips.

"Morning." Michonne replied back while Natalia simply stared at her brother with a raised brow. Her questioning eyes reading her brother like an open book.

"We better get moving soon." Rick said softly as he placed his hand on his hip after Natalia thanked Michonne for doing her hair.

Before Michonne left, Rick and Michonne had a little conversation that only proved Natalia's speculations to be correct. Natalia watched the two curiously; Rick watched Michonne leave and raised a brow again.

Rick turned to his sister and placed a small smile on his lips as he sat down beside her.

"That cut— does it still hurt? Carol's done a good job in stitching it." Rick moved her head in his direction gently by cupping her chin with his index finger and thumb, taking a closer look at Althea's deep cut in his sister's jaw.

"Are you gonna admit you like her anytime soon?" Natalia ignored her brother's question as she raised a brow at Rick.

"I don't like Michonne." Rick answered too quickly.

"I never said it was Michonne." Natalia said suggestively as she cocked her head to the side.

"Stop it— I respect her. That's all. She's a good person."

"You love her." Natalia said bluntly. "I know you, you're my brother."

"I don't." A part of Rick felt guilty moving on from Lori so quickly. The thought of Carl despising him crossed his mind a lot too.

"Keep lying to yourself. And to me." Natalia said before she got up. "But I know you— your eyes softens when you look at her and you, you're always checking her out."

Rick bewildered, watched his sister leave; at least, Rick managed to make her speak again.

———

Once again, everyone was on the road again. Constantly being on their feet under the hot sun slowed them down as everyone grew hungry and exhausted— it's been days since what happened in Althea's community and now, no one knows where to go.

Natalia walked with Carl who carried his sister and Natalia looked down to Carl, even with his eyes covered with his hat, Natalia knew that Carl was looking down at his feet as he walked, which he would do when he was feeling down.

"Carl." Natalia called Carl softly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah?" Carl looked up at his aunt as Judith's little hand gently slapped Carl's neck.

"I'm sorry, honey." Natalia spoke softly as she leaned in to Carl slightly. "I know you were close to Beth."

Carl, however, couldn't speak as he nodded in appreciation.

"Are you okay?" Carl now asked his aunt in concern.

Ever since their escape from Althea's community, Carl didn't have the chance to talk to his aunt as Natalia kept to herself.

Natalia patted Carl's shoulder as she forced a crooked smile. "I gotta be, honey."

Their short conversation died and Natalia and Carl continued walking in silence.

Natalia's eyes would drift to Daryl, who walked with his head down while his hair was draped across his features. Natalia grew frustrated as she didn't know how to comfort Daryl or Carl, even Maggie.

Carol noticed Natalia's internal fight as her eyes would always dart to Daryl. Catching up to Natalia, Carol gently gripped on her forearm to grab Natalia's attention.

"Just be there for him." Carol whispered before she gently pushed Natalia closer to Daryl. "Go."

Before Natalia was beside Daryl, Natalia turned to Carol for reassurance and Carol nodded her head confidently.

Natalia's hand brushed over Daryl's and immediately, Daryl's head perked up and turned to Natalia. An apologetic look crossed Natalia's face as she didn't know what to say to Daryl.

Knowing very well that Natalia wanted to speak about Merle and Beth, Daryl's lips quivered. Not saying a word too, Daryl took Natalia's hand in his and squeezed.

To be continued...